Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Possible modem problem

    I have a cheap Huawei HG521 supplied by my ISP, connected directly to my desktop and wirelessly to a laptop. Recently the connection speed has been very variable – up to 3.8Mbps after a re-boot of the modem but in use sometimes as low as 0.3 Mbps, but generally about 2.7 Mbps. I live over a mile from the exchange so do not expect a good speed but the variability is recent. I suspect that it is a line or exchange equipment problem as I assume that the modem’s electronics either work properly or not at all. Would I be likely to see an improvement if I bought a new modem/router such as the well reviewed TP-Link TD-W8960N at about £35 or would I be wasting my money – the laptop is in a room about 20 feet away from the router and performs as well as the desktop.

  2. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hi,

    My name is Deepa and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. First of all, please let me know are you facing this issue with your laptop (wireless) or desktop (wired). Please try to log in to the router page and change the channel to 6, 9 or 11. If it is happening with all your systems, in that case it seems to be an issue with the Internet Service Provider (ISP). As you have already mentioned that you live over a mile from the exchange, speed variability is common. Please check with your ISP. Did they mention this variability issue when they were setting up the connection for the first time? I would suggest you do some research before you go ahead and purchase another modem-cum-router. Also I would like to check how old is the router?

    For further help please reply.

    Thanks and Regards
    Dell_Deepa_R
    Dell Social Media Responder

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to DELL_deepa For This Useful Post:

    mike21 (2012-08-02)

  4. #3
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    3,421
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 195 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    I live over a mile from the exchange so do not expect a good speed.
    You should expect a good speed! A mile from the exchange is closer than most people are.
    Have a look at the speeds you'd expect, using the BT Broadband Checker or (if you can find out how to do it!) SamKnows.com.
    BATcher

    Time prevents everything happening all at once...

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

    mike21 (2012-08-02)

  6. #4
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thank you. The modem/router is about 2 years old. Speeds and reliability of the laptop and desktop seem identical, although the laptop is not often used on line. Up until May my speed was almost always within the range 2.95 – 3.05 Mbps. In May my ISP (talktalk) installed their own equipment in my local BT exchange – 1.25 miles away as the pavement goes, with the last 50 yards being overhead – and I lost internet for four days because a technician put in the wrong password. Once restored my speed had dropped to about 2.6 rather than the speed increase promised, although upload had increased from about 0.33 to about 0.55 Mbps. Since then there have been several occasions when I could not get a connection, but re-booting the modem solved the problem (switch off for 20 seconds and then switch on again). Also at times speed dropped to 0.3/1.2/1.9 etc – rebooting brought the speed up to around 2.6Mbps. If I switch off the modem overnight the speed the following morning is often around 3.8Mbps, but by the following day it is down to 2.6 – currently 2.68/0.56 Mbps. I rang the ISP and was told to wait until it settled down; it did not so I rang again and they adjusted the signal to noise level and speed went up, but only for a few days. Prior to the unbundling I went onto the BT website and found that if I changed to BT I would get “up to” 4 Mbps, so the 3.8 I got for a while would fit. There seems to be no way of changing the channel on the router pages – accessed through 192.168.1.1

    I have just rebooted and speeds are now 3.35/0.49 Mbps. I have attached two screenshots giving further details – DSL line speed has shown as high as 4700 kbps on occasion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #5
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Please see post of a couple of days ago

  8. #6
    WS Lounge VIP Browni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,653
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 161 Times in 139 Posts
    Hi Mike,

    First of all delete the first picture you uploaded, it contains personal information related to your account!

    According to the line attenuation in your second picture the synchspeed you are getting seems reasonable. You may want to try using the test socket & remove the ring wire (if not already removed) to see if you can squeeze more out of it.

    See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm for more info.

    FYI, I've used this graph for years to get a rough estimate of attenuation vs line speed

    eaae7_adsl_att_vs_speed_chart.jpg
    Last edited by Browni; 2012-08-02 at 14:40.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •