4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Second Level Address Translation

I have not been able to turn on Hyper-V on my Dell GX620 with Pentium D, but I thought it was because the Pentium D does not have Virtualization Technology Support. I have run into this before when installing VMware ESXi servers on 64-bit processors. You can install EXSi server without it, but you can't create 64-bit machines.

So I got another computer with a Core 2 Duo processor, and installed Windows 8 on that and tried to turn on Hyper-V. It turns out that the Virtualization option is not all you need, you also need SLAT (Second Level Address Translation) to turn on the Hyper-V Platform.

From what I have found on-line, some Intel 13, 15, and 17 have SLAT, and some AMD Opteron processors have it. I need to find a better list.

Now that Windows 8 is coming out, I assume that most new processors will have SLAT, but a lot of old processors do not. Has anyone here turned on Hyper-V, and if you have successfully done it, what processor do you have?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Unfortunately, most old processors do not have SLAT. I think all the new i3, i5 and i7 processors support it, but you better check it for a specific processor, anyway. There are a few Core 2 Duo architecture processors that support it, too, but most core 2 Duo do not. One that does is the Core 2 Quad 6600. The Core 2 Quad 8300 also has SLAT support.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-08-01 at 04:08.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The way to discover whether you have SLAT according to Microsoft, is to use coreinfo

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>d:

D:\>cd coreinfo

D:\Coreinfo>coreinfo -v

Coreinfo v3.05 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
    Copyright (C) 2008-2012 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
    Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
    HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present
    VMX - Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
    EPT - Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

D:\Coreinfo>

Coreinfo correctly identifies the processor, it is a Pentium D, but it absolutely does not support Intel extended page tables, and Hyper-V Platform is not and cannot be turned on. When you go to the check box to turn it on, it pops up a bubble that says "Hyper-V cannot be installed: The processor does not have required virtualization capabilities"