5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Disk Drives in Explorer

I have a new 64 GB USB2 Centon flash drive, (pre-) formatted NTFS, which my Windows Explorer includes with the Hard Disk Drives. I'm certainly not complaining, but I'm curious to know why it would do that. There may be benefits, but I can't think of any at present. Other explorers that I can think of don't even make the distinction. Incidenally, I got it on sale for thirty bucks, which is a reminder of which direction prices may be headed (for USB2, at least).

Thanks
    It would be unusual for a USB type flash drive to be included along with a non removable internal drive.
    Right click on it's properties and see if it has indexing and compression options.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    It would be unusual for a USB type flash drive to be included along with a non removable internal drive.
    Right click on it's properties and see if it has indexing and compression options.
    Don't forget that Explorer places external hard drives in the same group as internal drives. As for right-clicking to see if it has indexing and compression, that was an excellent idea, and yes, it reported that it has both, and I turned indexing off, and as usual had to go the extra click to satisfy it that I was an administrator.

It's still just a curiosity, but it's something I haven't seen before and it might make a difference if the computer actually treats it differently, as it (rightly or mistakenly) did with the indexing and compression. I have only tried it with one computer, which is crazy given the number of computers I have on hand, so I'll do the rounds with it and see what the other computers 'think'.

Thanks
    yeah, I noticed that too with my 1 TB WD Passport.

Your flash drive's size and or specific hardware make-up may have something to do with that.
    Maybe it's more of a mini USB solid state drive, you should have a look into it's specific make-up.