Star Lounger
    Thanks

Numbered cut-in headings (Word 2010)

Heading styles traditionally were paragraph-only styles, meaning that all your headings had to be on a line by themselves. When I needed a cut-in heading (in which the text continues on the same line) I would resort to the trick of formatting the paragraph symbol at the end of the heading as hidden font. The heading didn't look cut-in on the screen, but it did when printed. Crude but it worked.

More recently, I see that heading styles are of type paragraph or character, meaning that the style could be applied to only the first few words in a paragraph, causing them to be formatted specially to stand out as a header. Great! now there is a special way to do it without resorting to trickery.

But, I find that the automatic numbering capabilities disappear when used on a heading formatted this way! So alas, there is still no way to accomplish *numbered* cut-in headings.

Am I missing something? Must I still resort to the old trick?

I want something like this Section 1.1:

1. Introduction
    1.1 Background We were initially asked to perform...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The "style separator" has been available since Word 2002 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285050). It's functionally equivalent to the hidden paragraph mark, but it's quicker to apply. In Word 2010 you can add a button for it to the Quick Access Toolbar or to a custom group on the ribbon; it's in the "Commands Not In the Ribbon" category or in "All Commands".

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I do now remember using style separators for this but had forgotten. It works better than formatting the para mark hidden because the intended effect shows on screen, and is less buggy regarding page breaks.

The "new feature" of applying heading styles to only the first few words of the text seems to be poorly implemented, because it does not respect the heading numbering.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Linked styles don't work well if you need numbered headings for run-in (cut-in) paragraphs. When you apply a linked style to a portion of a paragraph by selecting some text, the character attributes of the style go into effect but the paragraph attributes do not. That's why the paragraph numbers don't appear.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Star Lounger
    Thanks

numbered cut-in headings

Actually, I find that the numbered para attributes work OK, if the style separator is used as suggested above. But editing and making changes is pretty flakey, and I struggle some with it.

But worst of all, the cut-in property itself is not really a style property. So, you cannot, just by changing the style, change the heading from cut-in to stand-alone and vice versa. There should be a better way.