5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The end for Home Server and Small Business Server

BRIEFING SESSION

The end for Home Server and Small Business Server

By Susan Bradley

On July 5, Microsoft finally pulled the plug on the Windows Home Server and Small Business Server product lines.

If you have poor or limited bandwidth or high video-storage needs that call for a small server, you still have options.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/briefing-s...e-almost-dead/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2012-08-01 at 14:23.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great article Susan. Thank you.

I have a WHS (v1) at home. I also have a current TechNet subscription.
    Once I read about the end of WHS in early July, I promptly downloaded backups from TechNet, as well as a fresh copy of WHS 2011.
    This got me thinking about my next step in the server world.. The reason I have kept my WHS on v1 was, as you mentioned
    in your article the 'Drive Extender' function and additionally, the 'Tombstone' file backup (which I believe works similarly to a RAID5 setup).

I have used the 'Tombstone' recovery once when a drive completely failed. And from my understanding this functionality was dropped from subsequent
    versions of WHS, which is why I have never upgraded.

With the demise of the WHS family, my only other option is Windows Server 2012 (which i will pick up once its available for download on TechNet).
    (Having said that, MS have said they will support the WHS line until 2025..)

I only really use my WHS to store data. Having the redundancy on JBOD was a no brainer for me. And it worked brilliantly.

I know you can't reply to this thread, but if any readers out there have ideas or suggestions (eg Server 2012 with some sort of add-on) that can
    replicate the functionality of WHSv1 (Drive Extender & Tombstone), please let me know.

Thanks in Advance!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2012-08-02)

Thanks
    We Got Served blog on Windows 8 and the demise of the separate Windows Home Server.

Paul Thurrott's take on the future (or lack thereof) of WHS. This article is also Windows 8-centric.

Windows 8 may take up the slack (in the Pro edition). But a dedicated box with all the WHS features all in one place seems to be a dying concept. Storage pools are the Next Big Thing, it seems. With Storage Pools there's built-in redundancy, so except for System Images (a step up from the built-in Windows 8 System Reset option) there seems no reason for a separate box in the closet approach with Windows 8. Tombstone was nice, and having all the computers and devices backed up in one location was handy, but it seems these features were never enough for WHS sales to really take off.

Media storage and streaming over home networks was never one of WHS's strong points, compared with several simple to use, dedicated devices on the market at reasonable prices.

For those not planning on upgrading, Susan's article has some worthy solutions. Windows Server 2012 Essentials was mentioned as the successor to Windows Server for Small Business. For email management, Kerio was mentioned.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-02 at 08:49.
    -- Bob Primak --

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

Ghost (2012-08-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bobprimak!

I have been a long time reader of WGS blog, but since they started pushing their PDFs via the newsletters, I haven't paid them much attention - to my detriment.
    That article you have linked to was brilliant.

I totally get your point about no longer needing a 'server'. Even in Win7 with Homegroups and its inbuilt media server one can see the move away from the classic
    server mentality. But call me archaic, I still like the idea of a separate box just for critical backups. (Which is pretty much all I use my WHS for.)

The "Storage Spaces" is very exciting. It seems they have taken the best of Drive Extender and built on it. (I still can't wrap my head around 'Thin provisioning' but I'll
    pick that up when I have a play with it.)

TBH, I was ready to write off Win8 before I'd even used it.. I guess I owe you a very big 'Thanks'. Cheers Mate!

Thanks
    Always glad to help. I think some of my user group colleagues here in my home town will truly miss WHS.

But time and technology march on. And if that means using a stack of hard drives (or better yet, SSDs) as our new "storage server", so be it. As long as the backups work when needed and any one failure does not lead to data loss, I'll get on board with the parade float. (Windows 8 Storage Pools being the Float.)

I still do wonder though -- how do you scan a Storage Pool for malware?
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-04 at 13:43.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think Storage Spaces has potential, it's just not as nice and home user friendly as WHS.

I'm going to hang tight with WHS 2011 until I see what shakes out from all of this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    I think Storage Spaces has potential, it's just not as nice and home user friendly as WHS.

I'm going to hang tight with WHS 2011 until I see what shakes out from all of this.
    Wise choice. And I agree with you totally, for those who already have made the investment in WHS hardware and network setup. Far more convenient, as you say.
    -- Bob Primak --