Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    They were quoting Mary Joy Foley who has seen a Microsoft document which says;

"The majority of consumers buying the retail license are looking to upgrade. For Windows 8, Microsoft will therefore only offer an upgrade version of Windows 8 through the retail channel. This is the license an end user would purchase who wants to upgrade their current PC from a prior version of Windows to Windows 8."
    Windows 8: The end of the full retail version?

Bruce
    Interesting quote. But I'm with RussB on this one. We will know what is being offered when Microsoft actually releases something to retail. And there's nothing in that statement indicating there won't be a direct from Microsoft download for Full Retail (although their insistent focus on System Builder -- which is tied to hardware -- seems not too encouraging on that front).

As I have posted before, all I personally will need is a cheap but legit license for Windows 7 full retail, not OEM or System Builder (does exist) and the upgrade license for Windows 8 Pro with the free Media Center download, which inherits non-OEM status from the previous Windows 7 license (will exist). On my hardware, I sincerely doubt that a dual-boot of that combo with my existing Windows 7 OEM installation would be forbidden (full UEFI implementation, but no support for SafeBoot). Especially if I let Windows 7 be the lead OS and use EasyBCD as the boot manager. This is not speculation, by all indications, but is based on released statements from Microsoft (and information from the EasyBCD website and several reliable How-To sites about using EasyBCD in creating a dual-boot with the versions of Windows 8 we have seen so far). I prefer to stick with Microsoft's own statements, even if there are gaps and inconsistencies in these statements. This is the best way to plan ahead, in my opinion.

I think planning ahead is not idle speculation. My intent is not just to speculate for no reason. I am planning for my possible future use of my own Toshiba Satellite laptop, where I already am running Windows 8 RP with Windows 7 in a dual-boot controlled by Windows 8. If I need to change this setup, I'll need to know how to do so with minimal expense and frustrations. That could take weeks or months of pre-planning -- not idle speculations.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-09 at 13:26.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Pro WILL have a boxed full retail DVD
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    there's nothing in that statement indicating there won't be a direct from Microsoft download for Full
    Yep, OK.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody:
    You reported "Windows 8 Pro online upgrade from Windows XP, Vista, or Win7."
    I run XP Pro (32 bit) and was told that to upgrade to 7, I would need to do a fresh install and then re-install all programs in order to take advantage of 64 bit computing.
    Are you saying that if I upgrade to 8 (from XP) that it will automatically upgrade me to 64 bit???

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the people speculating on Win 8 Pro release forms, what I've read is that there will be a $40 download (that you can create a DVD from) and that entitles you to also DL Media Center (presumably without DVD codecs) and a full box Update version for I believe $80.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pbug56 View Post
    For the people speculating on Win 8 Pro release forms, what I've read is that there will be a $40 download (that you can create a DVD from) and that entitles you to also DL Media Center (presumably without DVD codecs) and a full box Update version for I believe $80.
    That was in the article we're commenting on here, but WMC will include the DVD codec.

Bruce

Thanks
    The app that will not include the DVD codecs is WMP. You will have to add the Media Center feature with a valid code supplied by MS (for free) to have access to DVD playback with Win 8, or install a 3rd party app such as VLC for these chores.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So you install WMC not because you will ever use it but because it will install the codec for DVD's. Lovely.

Thanks
    No, you install WMC if you wish to play DVD's without using a 3rd party app. WMP will NOT be able to be used for DVD playback. WMP can ONLY be used for CD playback, no matter what codecs you install. MS has removed DVD playback from WMP. It is now only included with WMC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Upgrade only at retail, for $69.00 (US). No mention so far of full retail boxed pricing nor availability. As I say, no problem for me either way.

By the way, just because the upgrade involves a download, doesn't mean you can't do the DL on any computer, save the installer, and burn it to USB or DVD for later use doing a "clean install". The underlying license has to be valid for Windows XP, but the upgrade runs as a full wipeout -- a clean install. Therefore, it doesn't matter whether the Windows XP installation was 32-bit or 64-bit because it gets formatted away early in the upgrade installation process. Just make sure the hardware is Windows 8 ready, using the Upgrade Adviser in the download package. Run the adviser, stop to do anything needed to prepare, then do the download and save the result for later use.

For DVD playback, VLC Player works with Windows 8. And StarBurn works for burning and ripping DVDs. But hey, the Media Center is being offered or free, so what the heck -- go for it!

Interesting info that Media Player will no longer play DVDs. Yet another Windows 8 downgrade.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-10 at 11:39.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Amazing. I can see not installing the codec by default to save a few bucks, but not making it available in 8 is yet another reason to not downgrade to Win 8. Let's see; an unusable GUI, no DVD codec for WMP, having to unhide the login every time I go to login...

Thanks
    That is the reason we have said repeatedly, no one is going to be forced to UPGRADE to this excellent OS. I find the UI very useable and easy to make work the way I wish it to work. I do not need to use WMP to play DVD's. I can have WMC, which IMO is better at this task anyway.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Amazing. I can see not installing the codec by default to save a few bucks, but not making it available in 8 is yet another reason to not downgrade to Win 8. Let's see; an unusable GUI, no DVD codec for WMP, having to unhide the login every time I go to login...
    Unhide the login?? Are you talking about the Lock Screen?

As for DVD playback, with free alternatives out there which work just fine thanks in Windows 8, this isn't even a minor annoyance. Same for DVD burning and ripping. Lack of ad hoc networking is more than an annoyance for some folks. Inability of RT tablets to join a Domain will be a serious reason for businesses not to allow RT tablets in the workplace.

Just putting things in perspective.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-11 at 13:59.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't understand this - it is miles over my head. Can you just install iTunes and Quicktime and forget about the Windows Media Center or is there some reason you'd still need to get Windows Media Center (I also don't understand half the acronyms people are using in this thread... what is WMP? and what is the difference between Windows Media Center and WMP?

Are people saying that if I put Windows 8 on my HP Paviliion laptop which has a DVD/CD reader and burner, it won't work with Windows 8 unless I add some other thing?

Thanks
    MS has removed the ability of Win Media Player (WMP) to playback DVD's. You will need Win Media Center (WMC). Or get one of the 3rd party alternatives. In Win 7 both WMC and WMP could handle DVD's.

When Win 8 Pro is released for sale on October 26th, WMC will be included at no additional charge. You would have to acquire the key (for free) and enable the additional feature on Win 8 Pro.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

kelliann1 (2012-08-13)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    (...) Can you just install iTunes and Quicktime (...)
    These must rank in the top 10 of the worst ever Windows apps (and I won't even talk buggy and security issues ridden, in Quicktime's case).

If you need a decent, alternative, DVD player for Windows, just use VLC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast