Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    I agree about the Apple apps. They are not allowed near my PC's. I have downloaded VLC, but have yet to install it. I just do not play DVD's with my PC, what can I say. That's what DVD players are for.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a number of issues. You point out some important ones. But lots of people like and use WMP. Now if MS wants to save money, let them make the codec an optional download; that should save them a bundle.

As to your question; there's this movie theater like curtain that you have to lift up - if you can, to log in. I'd like to meet the rocket scientist who came up with that idea.

Thanks
    All I do is Click the lock screen and my Log In screen shows up. One simple Click and this nice looking screen disappears and I log In. I have also switched to the Picture Password option. Very nice. It is very easy to change the original Lock Screen to use a picture on your PC. Charms Bar, Settings, Change PV Settings (at the bottom), Personalize screen, Lock Screen tab. Browse to whatever picture you wish to use.

If you still have a "movie theater like curtain" perhaps you are testing an old version of Win 8. IN Win 8 RP, like I said, it's a simple click or Enter key.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-12 at 08:14.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The one feature that doesn't appear to have been addressed is the bundled "XP Mode" that came with Win 7 Pro. I use this a lot and it would have to be part of the OS for me to consider an upgrade.
    Why buy new hardware every time the OS is upgraded when it still works perfectly fine even if it is a few years old. I hate being forced to do this just because a driver isn't / won't be upgraded by a manufacturer. It makes Linux look a reasonable alternative, but the world is M$ based in software terms.

Thanks
    As we have said regularly, there is no one forced to upgrade. If you have and are happy with Win 7, keep it. You do not have to buy new H/W when your old H/W is working. That's the whole thing. If you like what you have and it does the job for you then stay with what you have and know.

I do not understand the comment about drivers. If you have Win 7 and it's working you have drivers already that works for you. You do NOT need to change.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted, but you missed my point. I have both hardware & software that do not run natively on Win 7, I have to use XP Mode for these to work. I also didn't say I was upgrading, but for me to consider this option XP Mode is needed because of the afore mentioned point. So far I have not been able to get a definitive answer about this. I didn't upgrade immediately to Win7 but ran XP for about 12 months after Win7 was released and I think Win7 has been a great step forward for Microsoft.

The comment about drivers relates to perfectly good hardware that the manufacturer's thereof could not be bothered upgrading the driver for when a new version of an operating system is released. I had scanners & printers that worked fine under XP but were not compatible with Win 7. If you didn't purchase Win7 Pro or above then you had to replace such hardware so I take your comment about new H/W with a grain of salt.

At the heart of the issue is the continuing use of existing hardware that is perfectly functional, but they are not guaranteed to work with Win8 without an XP mode type of solution and I don't necessarily want to splash the cash on buying new H/W that does the same as my existing.

Thanks
    The drivers issue is an issue with the device manufacturers, not MS. I won't have an HP printer in my home any more because of this. Device manufacturers do not support their products through different OS's in many cases.

Win 8 does not have XP Mode per say. But it has a virtualization mode called Hyper-V. Paul Thurrott has a good article on Hyper-V. Will you get your older devices to work? I can not answer that.

If you feel you wish to upgrade to Win 8, you will have to find a way to virtualize XP using a different VM app, or upgrade the devices and express your displeasure with the device manufacturer. I had to let a perfectly good, very functional HP printer go because of this, thus my comment about HP printers. It seems HP is one brand that has many complaints such as yours.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    These must rank in the top 10 of the worst ever Windows apps (and I won't even talk buggy and security issues ridden, in Quicktime's case).

If you need a decent, alternative, DVD player for Windows, just use VLC.
    Thanks for the tip on VLC!

BTW, iTunes works perfectly for me. We use it to buy music and rent movies, for audiobooks, and listen to podcasts. Do not want monthly subscription to NetFlix.

Thanks
    The drivers issue is an issue with the device manufacturers, not MS

Not entirely. Microsoft is partially to blame by requiring new drivers every time they update an OS. It can become very expensive to hardware vendors to provide new drivers for all their new products as well as their old ones for which they get no new revenue. I agree that HP seems to be the worst vendor in maintaining new drivers.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pbug56 View Post
    There are a number of issues. You point out some important ones. But lots of people like and use WMP. Now if MS wants to save money, let them make the codec an optional download; that should save them a bundle.

As to your question; there's this movie theater like curtain that you have to lift up - if you can, to log in. I'd like to meet the rocket scientist who came up with that idea.
    It's a privacy feature designed with tablets in mind. For laptops and PCs it's a minor annoyance.

On my Toshiba Satellite laptop, I actually have to "lift" the lock screen curtain to get to the Welcome Screen. A bit of a pain, but not a deal breaker.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-19 at 08:39.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drivers View Post
    The one feature that doesn't appear to have been addressed is the bundled "XP Mode" that came with Win 7 Pro. I use this a lot and it would have to be part of the OS for me to consider an upgrade.
    Why buy new hardware every time the OS is upgraded when it still works perfectly fine even if it is a few years old. I hate being forced to do this just because a driver isn't / won't be upgraded by a manufacturer. It makes Linux look a reasonable alternative, but the world is M$ based in software terms.
    Actually, Windows 8 natively supports many Windows XP applications. It has a very comprehensive ability to run legacy drivers and hardware, too. No need for a specific "XP Mode" in many cases.

I can't speak to HP scanners, but my Epson all in one didn't even need any drivers or software, except to monitor ink levels. Full controls for printing and scanning needed the Windows Vista edition of the 64-bit software, but no special drivers were needed.

If you get really stuck, Win 8 Pro has bundled or as a free download Hyper-V which allows you to create a Virtual Hard Drive. Among other advantages over XP Mode and Virtual Machines, you can boot from a VHD as if it were an actual bootable drive.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-19 at 08:37.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    Thanks for the tip on VLC!

BTW, iTunes works perfectly for me. We use it to buy music and rent movies, for audiobooks, and listen to podcasts. Do not want monthly subscription to NetFlix.
    You don 't want to pay a flat monthly fee to Netflix or Hulu Plus, you say. But how much are you paying each month for all those iTunes downloads? I betchya it's more than the subscriptions.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice to hear you can 'click' on the theater screen to make it go away. But I'd still prefer that Windows just open up to the login screen. Just a silly choice by MS, IMHO. As to playing DVD's, when I travel I take a laptop and play DVD's in the hotel room from the laptop. WMP works just fine - now. I don't like VLC - yes, it's amazing what it can do for the features that actually work, but it's not very stable, IMHO, and it's designed for geeks, not end users. I don't like Media Center; you can spend more time trying to get it to do something useful then actually using it, but WMP is fairly useful.

But at this point, it really doesn't matter. Unless MS backs off and allows people to not use the smart phone interface they no longer call Metro, I'll never go to Win 8. If I buy a new PC I'll get it from somewhere that will include an upgrade to Win 7. And given that 8 is already more reviled then Vista, that shouldn't be too hard. The sad part; MS could fix the problem easily by just allowing users to select as an option the Win 7 style GUI and turn off the former Metro.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pbug56 View Post
    And given that 8 is already more reviled then Vista,
    I think that's very far from the truth. How many people have tried it but then stopped using it? I think I can remember reading about only one.

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are huge numbers of online comments about how unusable and despised Win 8 is. Plus lots of articles. And it is frequently compared to Vista and Win ME, a continuation of the every other version of Windows that no one wants.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast