Gold Lounger
    Thanks

New Bootloader ?

Hello all,
    Does anyone know of a "UEFI \ GPT" Boot loader ..or a work-around ..So that you can run Windows (ET-al) and the "New Windows 8" in a dual boot scenario ?... "Makin me even crazyer".. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Fred,

If I understand the request, you have a machine with a full UEFI implementation? I believe there should be a switch in the UEFI to disable secure boot. That should give you the option to be able to build a multi boot installation.

I've only seen one machine "in the wild" with full UEFI. It had OS personalisation "feature bytes" programmed into the UEFI that tied the OS to the machine.

This is one of the big unknowns with UEFI plus Windows 8 enforcing signing of the boot loader. It's not clear to me how you could boot the machine off a CD - e.g. an image rescue CD or diagnostic CD - without disabling secure boot in the UEFI.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post

This is one of the big unknowns with UEFI plus Windows 8 enforcing signing of the boot loader. It's not clear to me how you could boot the machine off a CD - e.g. an image rescue CD or diagnostic CD - without disabling secure boot in the UEFI.
    Tinto Tech,
    Hello..Thank you for you're reply ..I'm a complete "UEFI NOOB" and i have been "slugging it out" with it for a few weeks now So far i can not find any place to switch off "Secure Boot", but have made some progress navigating the "BIOS". Just like a program running within a program. I will post back in a few more days with my findings about "UEFI BIOS" and how to deal with them...(i hope) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Boy Fred, you will be the UEFI guru by the time you are done with this. Good luck in solving this problem. It makes me sort of glad I do not have a new MoBo yet.

You may have already seen this article, and it may not solve your problem, but check this out.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-06 at 10:05.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy