New Lounger
    Thanks

Move a contact from one Outlook contact list to another

After moving among quite a number of computers over the years, I find that I have two active, usable contact lists in my Outlook 2010 installation. One list, the one that Outlook automatically checks when I start an email address, is a short, edited, current contact list. The second list, which I have to access manually (it appears as an available folder under the 'my contacts' list when I click on the contacts tab) is long, with many old and no longer useful entries. However, I occasionally discover an entry in the old list that I would like to copy to the new one.

I haven't found a way to do this, however. I can copy the old contact, but there doesn't seem to be a way to paste it into the new contact list. Of if there is, I haven't found it.

Any suggestions? This is probably very easy, once you know the trick.

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think it is possible to move contact from one list to another in outlook. It's better to keep both the list. Any ways, I have been working in Sharepoint Development for a long time and found it very interesting. You can do the same very easily here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The short list is called the Autocomplete Cache and previous versions stored it in a file with an .nk2 extension: Understanding Outlook's Auto-Complete Cache (*.NK2)

There's a very capable free utility (since two years ago, with frequent updates) which allows full control of its contents (even for Outlook 2010): NirSoft N2KEdit

(There are a couple of alternative utilities but one is very old and the free version of the other has restrictions. I don't think there's any other way to edit that file.)

But if you only need to add or delete a few addresses to/from autocomplete, just add them at To: (or press Delete) and don't send the message.

Just to confuse matters; Outlook 2010 also has Suggested Contacts: Suggested Contacts and Auto-Complete Lists

I think you were referring to the autocomplete cache, but Suggested Contacts are fully explained here: Suggested Contacts in Outlook 2010

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-08-03 at 12:16.

Thanks
    I too have several folders of older contacts, underneath my main contact list. I am assuming that that is what you have? When I want to add one from another, all I do is right click on the contact and drag it to the folder that I want, and select copy. Simple enough. You can even move/copy multiple contacts this way.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Great information

Thank you, BruceR, for that detailed information, and also, t8ntlikly, for your suggestion. I think these get me where I need to go.