Lounger
    Thanks

Installing OS with no CD/DVD/Floppy devices

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this vexing problem. I have an old EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale) system into which I am trying to install a new HDD with Windows XP. Unfortunately, the system doesn't have a floppy, CD/DVD drive and won't boot from a USB stick or external CD/DVD drive ! There is a special connector for an external floppy but these are quite rare to come by and cost arounf 100 each so this avenue is definately out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I might install a new HDD with XP on it. I've tried doing an install by hooking the new HDD up to my own computer and doing an install of XP but when the drive is transferred to the EPOS conmputer it fails to boot due to missing drivers etc. which is what I expected, but was worth a try.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Graham

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    On a separate machine, could you copy the installation CD into a second partition on the target hard drive and boot the EPOS off that partition to install and activate the OS?

You might run into problems with the boot loader, so probably best to experiment with custom boot loaders on a different PC to get it booting correctly first, then transfer the drive to the EPOS machine to run the installation.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993