Thread: Win 7 Upgrade

New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Upgrade

Forgive me if this is dumb, but I'm concerned about legality.

I have an ageing computer which is to be decommissioned and cannibalised, but is equipped with Retail 7 Ultimate and Retail Office 2010 Pro+ and I am about to buy a new one with 7 Home premium and Office Starter pre-installed.

The question is: Do I have to start from scratch and install my Ultimate and Pro+ on a formatted disk or can I 'upgrade' the installed programs with my old ones?

I won't be continuing with the old computer so there is no question of duplicate use, but licencing conditions frequently baffle me for logic and I'd like to remain legal.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

Thanks
    As far as the Windows Anytime Upgrade, you can use the 7 Ultimate key to launch the "Anytime Upgrade", since you won't have it installed on the old computer. I don't know about Office. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Radio Wales (2012-08-04)

Thanks
    If you are moving from a 32 bit installation to a 64 bit installation you will need to clean install.
    You should be able to upgrade provided that you've removed the W7 Ultimate from the previous computer.
    If your W7 Ultimate disk came with both 32 and 64 bit, all you will need to do to upgrade is match the bit version of the new computer.

But a clean install would be better in terms of removing the bloatware that many OEM computers come with.
    You will also need to download the drivers from the manufacturer prior to doing so, if you decide on a clean install.

As far as Office goes, I am unsure if the type of upgrade your asking is even possible. Your just better off removing the starter and installing the 2010.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-08-03 at 11:28.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Radio Wales (2012-08-04)

Thanks
    Not too sure how far along the purchase route you are but there is no point in paying for pre-installed Windows & Office when you already have retail versions that can legally be transferred to the new machine.

This quote from Kitz over here in the UK confirms that:

Scan will configure/put together any package you want (I didnt previously know about http://3xs.scan.co.uk) and whilst browsing I noticed something very interesting.. a choice when it comes to the O/S including a refund if you dont want them to install the Windows 7 Home OEM.. So Ive just rang them up.. They will install Windows Home/Pro/Enterprise, but if I use my own registration key for Windows 7 pro.. then they will give me an immediate refund of £59-70 deducted from the final bill.
    Source

Definitely worth looking into.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

Radio Wales (2012-08-04)

Thanks
    The only thing you might encounter is the need to call MS to activate the now unused Win 7 Ultimate on the Win 7 HP machine (new) since it was activated on the soon to be decommissioned PC. MS explains the procedure here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Radio Wales (2012-08-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Not too sure how far along the purchase route you are but there is no point in paying for pre-installed Windows & Office when you already have retail versions that can legally be transferred to the new machine.
    This quote from Kitz over here in the UK confirms that:
    Definitely worth looking into.
    Thanks to all of you who answered, but particularly to Browni for enlightening me about Scan. *****
    Everyone I have approached insists the price is the same with or without the OS.
    The the only point of wanting to transfer my 64bit 7 U was an acknowledgement that I was going to have to pay for an OS whether I wanted it or not.
    So, if I am able to start new, then the Office doesn't matter any more.
    Thanks again.
    P.S. The reason for the upgrade is I want more than the maximum 4GB RAM that my present MB allows.
    Last edited by Radio Wales; 2012-08-04 at 11:32.

Thanks
    That is a very good reason to upgrade to 64 Bit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy