New Lounger
    Thanks

Email Hack and/or Security Breach?

I would appreciate any advice that anyone could offer in trying to track down the source of a possible email and/or security breach.

Earlier this week my wife checked my son's Yahoo email account and found an email welcoming him to Yahoo Answers. When she went to Yahoo Answers she found a question posted and two answers posted to other questions that did not come from him but which listed his Yahoo ID. I checked the Yahoo email account activity log and found that the account had been logged in at 11:53pm on Tuesday evening from our home state and from the IP address associated with our home network. The email welcoming him to Yahoo Answers and the answers posted were from that same day or the next. I know that neither he nor anyone else accessed the two computers we have at home at that time based on reviewing the Windows Event Viewer. All other devices tied into the network were not accessible to him.

Is it possible that someone hacked his email/Yahoo ID through our network? Our wireless network is secured and it does not broadcast. We live in a neighborhood where the houses are on lots of 1 acre or more, so we are not in close proximity to others. I use OpenDNS to filter network traffic and I have TinyWall installed in addition to Windows Firewall. We also regularly scan with several spybot detectors, antivirus, CCleaner, BelArc, etc.

At first I thought it was a simple hack of his Yahoo ID, though we have seen no evidence of such in the email or other areas of Yahoo. Once I saw the Yahoo activity indicating that it came from our IP address I was really confused.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have happened? How about other places I can look to see if there was activity or traces of a hack or of someone actually posting these items to Yahoo Answers?

Thank you in advance.

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Why are you ruling out a legitimate access to the account? I read what you wrote, but really would like to know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It does seem much more likely to be someone in the house with his password. Are the Yahoo activity log times in the same time zone as yours?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick responses. The Yahoo activity logs are indeed our time zone.

So far I am almost certain that it was not a legitimate access to the account. Only three people have the password. Neither my wife nor I accessed the account. We are fairly certain that my son did not since he had gone to bed long before and my wife was awake almost up until the time listed on the Yahoo activity log. This line of thought is the reason I checked the Windows event logs. Neither of our computers were on at the time and all other devices were inaccessible.

I agree that it seems to have been accessed by someone with the password.

Thanks.

Robert

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I find it very weird that someone would hack into the email account, to that email account alone and wouldn't do nothing but do a few posts on a forum. Probably innocuous posts?

I may be wrong, but I would look for the sources of legitimate access there.

In the meantime, just to be safe, I would change the password and would also make sure the wireless network is using at least WPA and a very long, sort of randomly generated key.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I changed the password as the first step. It is much stronger. The wireless network is secure and that password is strong as well. I guess at this point I just need to wait and see if anything else shows up.

Robert

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does your son have a phone with wi-fi? You and I may not do forum posts from phones, but younger generations do.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the follow-up. No, he does not have phone with wi-fi. In fact he does not really have a phone. We have a prepaid phone with no data plan that stays in his backpack for occasional use when needed.

I also checked our TV since it is hooked to the network via Powerline adapter, but the browser history showed nothing related to the issue. At this point I am just monitoring everything to see what else may show up.