stevelaube

Flash won't work! (IE 6.0 and Windows XP)

Strange behavior for last 10 days. Flash movies will not play any more on web sites and when I right click an image Windows tries to download it as a bmp file only!
    I've tried to reinstall Flash from the Macromedia site and the site just sits there with no download occuring.

Microsoft support gave me the following advice and none of it works. Can you help?
    (I apologize for pasting all of the below, but thought you might want to read the thread)

As I understand, when you used the Save Picture As option for a graphic file in Internet Explorer, you were only allowed to save the file as an Untitled.BMP file. We shall be working together through the course of this request to resolve this specific issue for you. If I have misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, this issue may occur if your Temporary Internet pages cache is full, or it may be caused by some downloaded program files. To resolve this issue, try the following steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools->Internet Options->General->Delete Files.

2. Click Ok to delete all the temporary Internet files.

3. Click Settings in the General pane; a window will open listing all the downloaded program files.

4. First try to remove any of these that have a status of "Unknown" or "Damaged".

5. If that doesn't work, remove other downloaded program files.
    ________

For Flash problems Microsoft suggest the following:

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your prompt update. I am sorry to hear that you could not complete our previous action plan due to the IE issue. According to my research, I believe it is best if we fix the IE issue first:

First, let's register the file urlmon.dll again:

Click Start Run, in the open line type this command and press Enter: regsvr32 urlmon.dll

If the problem still occurs, please try these steps:

Step 1: please uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer.

1. Click Start and select Run.
    2. Type command in the Open box and click OK.
    3. In the MS-DOS prompt window, type the following command (exactly, do not even add a space) and press Enter:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:windowsinfie.inf

Note: I suppose the ie.inf file is stored in the c:windowsinf folder. The command is case sensitive. The "DefaultInstall" parameter is alterative.

4. After the re-installation, please restart the computer and check if the program is installed.

Step 2: If the problem remain, please reinstall VB Script and Java VM.

1. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/.../scripting.asp
    2. Download and install Scr55en.exe
    3. Reboot the computer.
    4. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htm
    5. Download and install VM Build 3802 for Windows 2000.
    6. Reboot the computer and check if the problem still occurs.

Step 3: If the problem continues, let us try to perform a clean boot. This tool will help us identify any drivers or programs that may be interfering with the normal operation of your computer.

1. Click Start > Run, in the open line type in: msconfig
    2. Choose Selective Startup and remove the check before "Load
    startup group items"
    3. Apply the change and reboot the system.
    4. Check if the problem still occurs.

Please complete all the steps above and let me know how everything is going. I am standing by for your progress.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Johnny Hong
    Support Professional
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
    Microsoft Windows Online Support
    mailto:Johnnyh@microsoft.com

Satisfied customers are my top priority.
    Please let my manager or me know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to Microsoft Management at mailto:managers@microsoft.com?body=Jin
    Zhou?subject=GTEC_Windows_Feedback or directly to my manager, Jin Zhou at mailto:jinzhou@microsoft.com

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 2:13 AM
    To: Johnny Hong
    Subject: RE: SRZ011103001344 "Flash player from Macromedia..."

Johnny,

Thank you for the attempt. I tried both methods and neither made a difference. It won't even download the software from the Macromedia site!

I have also discovered that a right-click "save as" on a picture from a web site is malfunctioning. The system tries to save it as "untitled.bmp". It no longer recognizes the original file name or extension.

Very odd and very frustrating.

Could they be related?

Steve Laube

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2001 9:06 PM
    To: stevelaube@msn.com
    Subject: SRZ011103001344 "Flash player from Macromedia..."

Dear Steve,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Online Support Team. My name is Johnny and I am the engineer who will be working with you on this service request.

As I understand the issue is: The Macromedia Flash Player does not work normally on Windows XP. If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know.

Before we go any further, I would appreciate your help in providing more details of the problem's symptoms.

Based on my experience, most likely, the problem is caused by urlmon.dll is not registered correctly. Please register this file again.

Click Start Run, in the open line type this command and press Enter: regsvr32 urlmon.dll

If the problem still occurs, please try these steps:

Step 1: Please check the Internet Explorer the settings.

1. Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet Options.
    2. On the General tab, delete the temporary files and cookies.
    3. On the Security tab, set the Internet Zone security level to
    Medium.
    4. Apply the changes.

Step 2: Download and reinstall Macromedia Flash Palyer from Macromedia website. For your convenience, I have included the link as below:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/downlo..._Prod_Version=S
    hockwaveFlash

Please complete all the steps above and let me know how everything is going at your earliest convenience. I appreciate your time and look forward to your progress.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,
    Johnny Hong
    Support Professional
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
    Microsoft Windows Online Support
    mailto:Johnnyh@microsoft.com

Satisfied customers are my top priority.
    Please let my manager or me know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to Microsoft Management at mailto:managers@microsoft.com?body=Jin
    Zhou?subject=GTEC_Windows_Feedback
    <mailto:managers@microsoft.com?body=Jin Zhou&subject=WINME_Feedback
    > or directly to my manager, Jin Zhou at mailto:jinzhou@microsoft.com

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Flash won't work! (IE 6.0 and Windows XP)

Steve, the problem seems a little weird. I do not understand why it would want to download a flash movie as a .bmp. That is strange behavior.

Do you have ActiveX enabled in your Internet zone? ShockWave Flash is an ActiveX plugin, so if you have ActiveX disable, Flash will not run.

stevelaube

There are two problems.
    1) Flash does not work. Period. And neither can a new version be downloaded from the web site.
    2) Right click any image and choose 'Save As' and the computer will only save it as "untitled.bmp"

i've done everything I can. I'm about to wipe the hard drive and start over. A process that will take two days and about 8 hours of agony. I suspect I have a minor crash of some sort that corrupted some key files and registry entries. Last time something wierd occured I was unable to delete e-mails in Outlook! A complete format fixed that and many other problems.

I'm also considering buying a new hard drive and start fresh there as well. I've had to replace this one once and am suspect of its stability (An IBM 60mg drive that came with this Micron PC).

Sigh.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, jeez. What a mess. I am one of those rare, fornuate users who has NOT had to reformat. I once had to remove and reinstall Office and it took me days to finish getting everything back to 'normal'. There must be some answer for you...

Let me see what else is going on:

1) You say you cannot even download a new version from the ShockWave website. Does that include manually downloading, or just the automatic updating?

2) Does any ActiveX work on IE? However about Acrobat Reader (.pdf) files?

3) ANY image is turned into "untitled.bmp"? That is weird... even obvious .jpg files are turned into .bmp's? Can they actually be downloaded and then opened in Paint? This would imply they are being converted from .jpg's to .bmp's.

I find the Microsoft advice strange. Clearly, Shockwave Flash is an ActiveX Control -- and MS told you to re-install VB Scripting and MS Java Virtual Machine. NEITHER of these are required to run an ActiveX Control...

Have you tried to "Repair" IE (through the control panel)? I suspect yes...