New Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up non standard account in Win7

Does anyone know how to set up a non standard account on my PC (Win7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack1) in such a way that it will preserve the settings of the adm account? I want the security of surfing as a non-admin but when I try to set up such an account, it's like going back to square one. Looks like I have to re-download Firefox, set Google as default search engine, re-download Media Monkey, Picasa3, import bookmarks...

There must be an easier way. Thanks for any help.

Dee

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

I am not sure if that happens because it is not an administrator account, or because you have setup all those apps for the admin account only. There is a quick way to test it, though. Create an administrator account and see if the apps are there. Then, through control panel, change it to a non administrator account.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Thank you ruirib, but no joy

If I set up all those apps for the adm account only, it was unintentional.

Did as you suggested. Created a new admin account and it's the same problem: restart computer using new adm account and I get the basic blue Windows screen with 2 desktop icons -- trash can and my games. Task bar contains icons for "e" and folders.... and something else. Not my screensaver and taskbar full of apps.

Bummer. Gonna be a long road to set up a non-standard account and re-load those apps. And does that mean they'll all be on my computer twice? Or do I just have to "find" them and add them to non standard account?

I may just give up. Shouldn't be this difficult.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if you can use this to overcome the situation. May work, but I can't guarantee it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

T
    he idea is to copy the existing profile into the new one.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Profile. Ah. I've been avoiding "Profile" for 10 years. Might be time to look into it. Thank you again, ruirib.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Info on link you provided seems pretty straightforward, except I'm assuming I don't delete the old profile when done.

Will give it a try... after my nap.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, better not delete the existing one .

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The use of "non-standard" in the title and text of this thread is confusing. It's a Standard, non-Administrator account which is being discussed.

The latest Windows Secret newsletter included a link to Configuring Windows 7 for a Limited ("Standard") User Account:

Method 2: Convert an already-installed admin user

This method is used if Windows 7 has been already set up, where the installer user (here: Steve) was automatically created with administrative rights.

Though one could technically rename the account to SteveAdmin and make a new Steve as a limited user, this would play havoc with the user profiles, the desktop, and other personal configurations.

It's possible to copy profiles around, but it's easier to just create a new admin account and demote this one

These are the steps: (at the link)

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's the article I read some days ago in Windows Secrets and subsequently lost track of. If the result of a standard account is losing all of one's settings in the new account, however, it isn't for me. Thank you for the link, Bruce, and my apologies for making a mistake.