3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Set up a limited-access account using the Standard user option.

I read Susan Bradley's article in the latest copy of the newsletter. It tweaked my conscience, I have never set up a limited access account, since Windows 3.0 I've been skating on thin ice. Mind you I did keep everything updated, never clicked on links offering to fix my machine, never answered e-mails from strangers, not even from Nigerian bankers with millions to dispose of. In short I never had a problem, until now.

I clicked on the link in Susan's article to Steve Friedl's "how to" page and followed his instructions to the letter. No problems, and within minutes I was happily surfing with "limited privileges." Then Firefox popped up a window saying that V14 was available. The download failed, but there was a link to the "manual update," (I believe that was the term used). So I downloaded the setup file, then ran it.

First came the request for a password, that was okay. Then the dialog box offered to install Firefox in a folder under Users\...\AppData\Mozilla... But I wanted it to simply replace the existing installation which is in C:\Program Files\Mozilla... Couldn't do that, "You don't have access to write to the installation directory..." So now I remembered I was saved from myself, limited access. I switched users and logged in using an Administrator account. Ran the setup again, same result.

Sooooo... I logged out, logged in again as Administrator, downloaded another copy of the setup file. Ran it, and got the same warning, "You don't have access..."

If there's one cardinal rule I have tried to obey it is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well I boke the rule, now I can't update Firefox, and who knows what else. I imagine I'll be able to remove the Standard account, at least I hope I will. But limited access? Never again.

David

Thanks
    I would try to download the file in your administrator account, but instead of simply clicking on it, Right Click and select Run As Administrator. This may not fix what you broke, but it's worth trying. Run As Administrator gives the highest level privileges.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that fast response, but since I posted I have found another problem. I tried switching user from David to DavidAdmin, that didn't work, it looked as though the acount was changing, blank screen then it comes back to life looking for a password, but I just kept ending up in the David limited account. So I re-booted and selected to log-in to the DavidAdmin account. I got a warning, password incorrect. This is nonsense, I have always used this password, no doubt whatsoever. I have a built-in fingerprint reader which has the DavidAdmin account registered. The only account I can log in to is the standard one.

If it aint broke!!!

David

Thanks
    Can you go back to a Restore Point from just before the "Fix"?

I have had a single Admin account for as long as I can remember. I'm the only one to use this PC so why not?

Any change you have a recent Image you could restore to?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Can you go back to a Restore Point from just before the "Fix"?"

Well now that's the next question that came to mind. They do say that repeatedly performing the same actions whilst expecting a different otcome is a sign of madness, but that's what I did. Lost count of the number of times I logged out and back in as an administrator, four or five times maybe, when I suddenly it worked. I found that I was logged in to DavidAdmin. Don't know what changed, but it worked. Now I was able to change the status of the limited one to admin, and that worked too! So now I have three admin accounts. Can anyone tell me if restoring to a previous Restore Point would get rid of all traces of the new account? I'm still thinking if it aint broke, but if I could get back to where I started I'd really, really like that.

David

Thanks
    I am not sure of the Restore Point fixing the extra account. I know positively that an Image WOULD fix that. This is why I have actually turned System Restore off in my Win 7. Still have it on for now in Win 8 RP. Unsure yet what I will do in Win 8 Pro.

If it seems to be working now, you might, after a while of using the original Admin account, delete the limited account. But then again if it ain't broke!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted