Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft might be on a winner with Windows 8

Regarding the liking or disliking of Windows 8, it seems clear that the two camps are:

Entertainment with touch VS Productivity with keyboard+mouse.

Last night, I read a few blogs about the RTM, and I was quite surprised by the differences in attitude. The comments in the following threads really highlight those differences:

These people love W8:

http://www.liveside.net/2012/08/02/w...lass-and-more/

And these people hate W8:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...usinesses.aspx

After reading the comments of those who will love Win8, I think MS might have a winner. If so, MS will increasingly move towards Metro and away from the Desktop. So those who prefer the desktop will be increasingly disappointed. It's unfair, but them's the breaks. The Desktop people will have to satisfy themselves with W7 or XP being their final version of Windows unless reliable tweakers come along who can modify Metro and evolve the Desktop. Also, there will be the problem of support in the future. Will hardware in 2020 work with XP and W7? Or maybe Hyper-V will become perfectly reliable. Of course, there is also the option of keeping your old computer, which isn't very appealing. Also, a future version of Windows might make some giant leap that benefits everyone.

Thanks
    I have to slightly disagree. My belief, and my experience through many months of use, is that Win 8 works very well on the Desktop UI. Yes, I know all the arguments about having to find the Desktop, hence my tutorial on Taking the Scary out of Win 8. We will have to see what the final product looks like.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think there is that big difference between the lovers' comment thread about play and the haters' comment thread about work (which you labelled Entertainment vs. Productivity).

This comment from the latter echoes my opinion about why Microsoft are on a loser with Windows 8 in the workplace (where most just need access to a few apps and a browser):

My helpdesk team have to deal with people who all but have hysterics when an icon on their desktop moves half-an-inch to the left. Changing to Windows 7 from XP left some of our users all but paralysed with inability to act... And now you want to convince us that we can make the change to a radical new UI such as Metro with these users? Despite Microsoft's aggressive abandonment of even the semblance of any of your old UI cues that people have become used to over the last 20 years?

I predict that Windows 8 Enterprise will have the lowest adoption rate of any Windows version. Windows 9 will have to consider wage-earning usage as well as consumer usage.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-08-03 at 23:31.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't see this going over well in the workplace setting either. Something else to factor in is the economy and uncertainty which is making people and business watch their spending a lot more than any time since MS has been in business. A lot of home users aren't much different than the ones in Bruce's post. They check email, Facebook, YouTube, edit pics etc. Having to do a web search to find the power button isn't going to endear those types to Windows 8. Only time will tell.
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think the desktop won't go away any time soon. There are thousands of apps that use the desktop and those will stay and they are actually the reason for the popularity of Windows. While I understand the need for having an interface that works in a tablet, the two realities will have to coexist for a long while. I am sure it's not this Metro version that will replace the desktop. Metro is too restrictive is some respects and while those restrictions make sense in a tablet, they do not make sense at all in the desktop.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-08-04 at 04:02.

Thanks
    Oops! If the Metro interface is not doomed, then its name certainly is! It is now being given the snappy and appealing name Windows 8-style UI because of the usual trademark problem...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Why do keep going on about this mention of "Metro"? If, all this is over a Start screen & some tiles then, it doesn't hold water. When you can, quite nicely, (I'm showing the extreme to get the point across), have the Desktop tile AND NOTHING ELSE, and go from Start to Desktop (remember that good ole desktop everyone has been looking @ for years)... and never look @ or visit Start, again.

Accessing everything, from that point on, @ & from the Desktop.

The heaps of rhetoric regarding this, @ forums all over the place, becomes a bit of a moot point.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    If the Desktop icon is in the Top, Left position there are 2 quick ways (assuming a Start Orb alternative has NOT been installed) to quickly bypass the Win 8-Style UI.

1) After entering a password, simply Press and Hold the Enter key for a couple of seconds. The Win 8-Style UI will open, and the Top, Left Tile will activate, thus taking a user immediately to the Desktop UI.

2) After entering a password, tap the Enter key, then as soon as the Win 8-Style UI opens, tap the Enter key again.

Either case will take a user quickly to the Desktop UI.

OR

Install one of the Start Orb alternatives. I use Classic Shell, which has a Skip Metro check box.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew
    Metro is going to be an endless issue to a lot of people unless MS allows booting straight to a classic desktop. All of the work arounds don't do a first time user any good when they feel like putting their fist through the screen when they can't find the login screen or shutdown button. I feel MS looks at desktop users as an after thought with their attitude about Metro ad features they've dropped.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    ... and never look @ or visit Start, again.
    ... until the next login.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    The point is, Bruce, so what? One is only there, @ Start, for the length of time it takes to hit ENTER... can't blink that fast, ergo, it's simply, just not worth any concern. Stick the Desktop tile @ the top-left & hit ENTER... a fraction of a second & this is all over Can't view that as a big deal or major obstruction to a good OS. ... a mere tap

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    I guess the point is, and I tend to agree somewhat, a new user who has not read any of these forums, who has not discussed any of these things with others who know, who just say, "Hey a new OS, or Hey a new PC" will be shocked at first power on and will not know what to do.

In the Enterprise environment, that will be up to the IT depts. to provide whatever customization (very minor) is required to allow users to get to the Desktop. We have indeed showed several methods to accomplish this. I have to believe there are some reasonably competent persons in the IT depts. to do this. Perhaps I am wrong, but such a simple thing should be easily accomplished.

I believe the bigger problem will be to show individuals how to do this. Someone had mentioned a small training disk or app or something sent along with the DVD. Unfortunately this would not help those downloading the ISO file, but you know, most of the people that will be downloading during the low cost period will have learned of this someplace, and I suspect that is from reading about Win 8. Another problem we have been seeing is to get individuals to actually read information provided. It seems many people just do not do this.

This is the biggest obstacle IMO for MS to get past.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post

I believe the bigger problem will be to show individuals how to do this. Someone had mentioned a small training disk or app or something sent along with the DVD. Unfortunately this would not help those downloading the ISO file, but you know, most of the people that will be downloading during the low cost period will have learned of this someplace, and I suspect that is from reading about Win 8. Another problem we have been seeing is to get individuals to actually read information provided. It seems many people just do not do this.

This is the biggest obstacle IMO for MS to get past.
    Ted
    That sums it up very well. I suggested MS have a video run on install and first boot showing the new features. A lot of people simply use a PC as a tool and aren't into customizing and don't want to learn a bunch of keyboard shortcuts. Most of those people have never been to computer forums.
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ted, also, could include, (bothering) to actually read or notice things. Also mentioned was people making enquiries in forums (to get informed).

Everything is clearly, in plain English, common, understandable English & jargon explained innately in the OS (itself). HELP People do not think to go there.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg