Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Odd "Beep" noise

This is an odd problem, I know! Every now and then my puter makes a quick soft 'beep' noise. Not the kind when there is a miss strike of a key or if I hit caps lock sound. This is a soft 'beep' LOL. I said this was an odd question. It only happens when I am online. My puter is well protected and I run various security programs on a regular basis as well as Maleware bytes constantly. System is clean. I have checked my sounds file in control panel and this sound is not there. Any ideas???
    Thanks, Bill
    Bill Marsden

Thanks
    It sounds like it could be an application of some type yet identified by you.
    You say it only occurs while on the internet? You may want to look at any applications that have exclusive access
    to the internet or while active on the internet. This may include anything from browser/browser add-ons, to virtually any application
    seeking or making a connection.

Thanks
    I deleted the duplicate thread in the Win XP Forum. Please do not duplicate threads as this tends to destroy the continuity of the thread. It's difficult for members responding to remember what they posted where.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks didn't realize that. I wasn't sure if it was a security issue or an XP one. Bill
    Bill Marsden

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Could be impossible to figure out what it is. Because I am so security conscious and have many security programs I run, I rarely get infected. I will keep digging!
    Bill Marsden

Thanks
    You might also check add-ons in your browser.

Also you say you have various Security Apps. I hope you are not running 2 different AV apps in real time. These have been know to cause problems. I am not talking about Malwarebytes Pro here, but actual AV apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It only happens when you are connected to the internet......

I seem to recall that one of the earlier versions of Firefox (or was it Internet Explorer?) made a quiet beep or click noise when it blocked a pop-up. Could it be that?
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I never do that. They all stand alone and I run them separately.
    Bill Marsden

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That could be. I use Firefox. I checked my settings (security) and 'warn me' for certain items i checked although there isn't any option for a sound warning, if there is one.
    Bill Marsden

Thanks
    Is the sound coming from your speakers, or is it coming from the actual box that holds the computer parts?

There is a system speaker typically on your motherboard, which can make "soft" beeps.

I also think its pretty likely that you just notice the beep while you are surfing the net, but it actually doesn't have anything to do with being connected to the internet.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Thanks
    Good one Matt, I should have asked the make and model of computer. I used to have a Dell box that
    would beep softly on occasion from the case speeker. It was completely benign.

There might even be an option in the BIOS to turn it off.

New Lounger
    Thanks

'Beep' noise

The computer was built by a local guy who is a friend of mine. I have had it for 5 years and have had no real problems with it. I have enough experience to fix issues myself and most always it is software. I take it to him when I am stumped. If I can't figure out a problem I go to forums like this one and usually get an answer. When ever I am on my computer I most always have email open and the internet as well. It isn't a big issue. There are times when it never happens. It is an occasional sound and puter is running normally. Just one of those things that pops up and gives me wonder. Thanks so much for your ideas.
    Bill Marsden

Thanks
    Does it sound like it's coming from the case itself, or from your speeker settup?

Thanks
    You may also want to check under your desk or chair for an "annoy-a-tron". It can be taped into place, or it is magnetic as well... We used to tape them to the bottom of drawers in the office at coworkers desks. Good office entertainment.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8c52/

It beeps. But only very occasionally. And with a tone that is very hard to locate. But you hear it... And can't quite ever tell just where its coming from. Then you go back to what you were doing for a while. And it beeps again.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Thanks
    I've been following this thread with interest because I also hear an odd beep very occasionally (it can be days/weeks between events) and was hoping for an explanation!

It definitely comes from the computer case and has a different tone from the normal BIOS beep that says "Hey, I'm ok!" when first switching on. It also only happens when I'm using my keyboard so I assume there must be a certain key combination that I am using that is upsetting the PS/2 connection.

Could that be a common factor, @op are you using a PS/2 or a USB keyboard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast