Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,793
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 798 Times in 719 Posts

    Outlook vs Gmail comparison


  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,179
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 983 Times in 913 Posts
    I thought it was an apples and oranges comparison until I saw the "Outlook Webmail" bit. Does make it confusing for us MS Office types who use Outlook as a client only.

    cheers, Paul

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    330
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I thought it was an apples and oranges comparison until I saw the "Outlook Webmail" bit. Does make it confusing for us MS Office types who use Outlook as a client only.

    cheers, Paul
    Well, now that you mention it, they did the same thing with Windows Live Mail - it had the same name on the computer as it did on the web and people got terribly confused. Now they're doing it to Outlook. They evidently blur the distinction between the web and using stuff on their own computer. Reminds me of my elderly mother. She can't tell the difference between her email program and her browser. She doesn't know if she's reading an email with pictures in it or looking at a web page. Honestly. To her, it's all the same thing.

    Boy wouldn't we all love to see Microsoft's internal emails discussing their strategy! Now there would be a story. LOL!

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,577
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Microsoft has not publicly said why they chose Outlook.com but it is not too difficult to make a reasonable guess. When most people think of Microsoft & email they think of Outlook. To most, Outlook has a good reputation. So, it is logical that they would want to capitalize on the name.

    IMO, if over time the web interface continues to evolve to look more like the desktop Outlook then they made the correct decision.
    Outlook.com is simple, straight forward and clean.

    Joe

  5. #5
    Douglas Baumwall
    Guest
    Microsoft's creation of outlook.com is acknowledgement that locally installed email clients will soon be a thing of the past. Web based email clients are so much better that there is no longer any reason to use locally installed email clients. Gmail is light years ahead of Outlook and Microsoft knows it. We have migrated hundreds of thousands of email messages for Customers as they migrate from Microsoft Exchange to Google Apps for Business. Most of them have employees who are so uncomfortable with change that they continue using Outlook as their local email client after the migration, even though this is completely unnecessary and costs the business money.
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2012-10-01 at 09:18. Reason: remove advertising link from post

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Baumwall View Post
    Microsoft's creation of outlook.com is acknowledgement that locally installed email clients will soon be a thing of the past. Web based email clients are so much better that there is no longer any reason to use locally installed email clients. Gmail is light years ahead of Outlook and Microsoft knows it. We have migrated hundreds of thousands of email messages for Customers as they migrate from Microsoft Exchange to Google Apps for Business. Most of them have employees who are so uncomfortable with change that they continue using Outlook as their local email client after the migration, even though this is completely unnecessary and costs the business money.
    That depends on the point of view. Maybe they are better for you, but many users will want something else. Personally I completely dislike gmail and would never use it as my email client.

  7. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    330
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Baumwall View Post
    Microsoft's creation of outlook.com is acknowledgement that locally installed email clients will soon be a thing of the past. Web based email clients are so much better that there is no longer any reason to use locally installed email clients. Gmail is light years ahead of Outlook and Microsoft knows it. We have migrated hundreds of thousands of email messages for Customers as they migrate from Microsoft Exchange to Google Apps for Business. Most of them have employees who are so uncomfortable with change that they continue using Outlook as their local email client after the migration, even though this is completely unnecessary and costs the business money.
    Doug, I completely disagree with such sweeping statements. To begin with, Microsoft is NOT the only provider of email clients. No matter what they do, business and individuals will always have a choice for their email. They've been trying to move everything to the web for years on end, and many (most) of their customers have not been happy. They may be willing to use one or two things on the web but not everything.

    And more and more I am beginning to think that a lot of customers are digging in their heels and switching over to Mac because Microsoft is being such a jerk and acting like such a bully. After all, a lot of people now own Apple products. So Apple is no longer a foreign territory for Microsoft users. So that makes a switch much more attractive if Microsoft does something that, for these people, is the absolute final straw of anger, frustration and aggravation for them.

    But personally, I do not find that web based mail is fast or convenient. And I have addresses with gmail, yahoo mail, earthlink mail and comcast mail plus an imap account with Apple's me.com -- on the *web.* Each has its own features, and gmail is pretty good but for efficiency would *never* be my first choice. Any webmail for me would be a far distant LAST choice, both for business and personal email. And, fyi, I have more than 13 gigabytes of email on my own computer (I just deleted a few GB of mail the other day after saving the folders to an external drive).

    On the other hand, one way to do both is to have a gmail address, set gmail to save all mail on its server (and pay for more space if you use up their very generous allotment) and have your local email client pull in gmail and store it on your computer or servers locally. That gives you a back up on the web plus local efficiency. (I do this for some mail).

    Time is money and if a business is a heavy user of email then they need something local at their own place of business, in MY opinion. I think keeping control of your own stuff is valuable, and sending the whole shebang to somebody else's servers and keeping it there *instead of* at your own place is a concern.

    If a consultant or my hired IT freelance person waltzed in the door and told me to move all my mail to the web and started trying to sell me on the idea, he'd soon be waltzing back out the door.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to kelliann1 For This Useful Post:

    bonalba (2012-10-04)

  9. #8
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    Doug, it almost sounds as though you are working for Google or Gmail or some such. Many of us are perfectly happy with our PC based mail clients. I have both Hotmail and Gmail as well as a couple of other emails, and have all set up to be checked in my WLM 2012 on my PC. Works great. Now I don't have to learn 3 or 4 different web based mails, just one mail client. Simple!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  10. #9
    Silver Lounger t8ntlikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    I'd have to agree Ted either that or just stirring some #$%@#$ up.
    I use Outlook 2007 and have both my .msn, and .live accounts coming into it, instead of WLM, and love it. Have no problems either.
    Everyone has their own opinions though
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

  11. #10
    Douglas Baumwall
    Guest
    Anything to make us forget hotmail

  12. #11
    Douglas Baumwall
    Guest
    Ted,

    Almost! I'm a Google Apps Certified Deployment Specialist
    I'm glad you're happy, but there is no reason to install any local email client, unless you want to spend extra money, extra time, and take extra risk [while limiting your functionality].

    PS: I let Google BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP for me so I don't have to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Doug, it almost sounds as though you are working for Google or Gmail or some such. Many of us are perfectly happy with our PC based mail clients. I have both Hotmail and Gmail as well as a couple of other emails, and have all set up to be checked in my WLM 2012 on my PC. Works great. Now I don't have to learn 3 or 4 different web based mails, just one mail client. Simple!
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-10-04 at 08:49. Reason: Remove unauthorized link

  13. #12
    Douglas Baumwall
    Guest
    Kelliann1,

    I've installed and eventually uninstalled almost a dozen email clients over the years.
    I respect your opinion, but 5,000,000 businesses have already switched to Google Apps for Business, including 60% of the Fortune 100.
    Over 5,000 businesses switch every day.
    There are valid reasons this is happening.

    Doug

    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    Doug, I completely disagree with such sweeping statements. To begin with, Microsoft is NOT the only provider of email clients. No matter what they do, business and individuals will always have a choice for their email. They've been trying to move everything to the web for years on end, and many (most) of their customers have not been happy. They may be willing to use one or two things on the web but not everything.

    And more and more I am beginning to think that a lot of customers are digging in their heels and switching over to Mac because Microsoft is being such a jerk and acting like such a bully. After all, a lot of people now own Apple products. So Apple is no longer a foreign territory for Microsoft users. So that makes a switch much more attractive if Microsoft does something that, for these people, is the absolute final straw of anger, frustration and aggravation for them.

    But personally, I do not find that web based mail is fast or convenient. And I have addresses with gmail, yahoo mail, earthlink mail and comcast mail plus an imap account with Apple's me.com -- on the *web.* Each has its own features, and gmail is pretty good but for efficiency would *never* be my first choice. Any webmail for me would be a far distant LAST choice, both for business and personal email. And, fyi, I have more than 13 gigabytes of email on my own computer (I just deleted a few GB of mail the other day after saving the folders to an external drive).

    On the other hand, one way to do both is to have a gmail address, set gmail to save all mail on its server (and pay for more space if you use up their very generous allotment) and have your local email client pull in gmail and store it on your computer or servers locally. That gives you a back up on the web plus local efficiency. (I do this for some mail).

    Time is money and if a business is a heavy user of email then they need something local at their own place of business, in MY opinion. I think keeping control of your own stuff is valuable, and sending the whole shebang to somebody else's servers and keeping it there *instead of* at your own place is a concern.

    If a consultant or my hired IT freelance person waltzed in the door and told me to move all my mail to the web and started trying to sell me on the idea, he'd soon be waltzing back out the door.

  14. #13
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    330
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Baumwall View Post
    Kelliann1,

    I've installed and eventually uninstalled almost a dozen email clients over the years.
    I respect your opinion, but 5,000,000 businesses have already switched to Google Apps for Business, including 60% of the Fortune 100.
    Over 5,000 businesses switch every day.
    There are valid reasons this is happening.

    Doug
    Doug - you know what? This is a forum for user assistance, not for promoting companies and products. A *few* people mistakenly believe this is the place they can come to promote their business or the company they work for. They do everything they can to persuade people to switch to whatever it is they are promoting, whether it's a newer version of Windows or a particular program. These few annoy the &&&& out of everyone else with their pompous, arrogant statements. If such people wish to promote, my opinion is that they should take an ad or go someplace suited to that and do it there instead of coming here and attempting to use this group for their purposes while pretending they are only here to be helpful. To me, this is just spamming the group while attempting to take advantage of those who may not realize what the person is really up to. It is important that people who come here trust this forum and when people come in and try to take advantage so that they can profit from it, it drags the credibility of the entire forum down.

    I like google a lot, use their apps and Chrome all the time, but that doesn't make me interested in giving up my email program for business or personal purposes, no matter how many numbers you care to throw around. And, you should not be here to attempt to persuade Windows Secrets forum users to switch to Google products. That is simply not the purpose of this place. People who do what you are doing are a discredit to the companies they work for and do them no favors.

    If you're so hot to promote, then do it the right way - be an advertiser here. Don't try to sneak in under the radar like you're doing now.

    Kelliann

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to kelliann1 For This Useful Post:

    Medico (2012-10-04)

  16. #14
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Baumwall View Post
    Anything to make us forget hotmail
    Why? I liked it much more than gmail.

    I find gmail an horrible email client. I can't stand it.

  17. #15
    Douglas Baumwall
    Guest
    Kelli,

    I didn't know this was a forum for user assistance.
    I thought it was a "Lounge" for people who feel like contributing their opinions.
    Of course, you're under no obligation to read (or respond to) what anyone writes.
    I appreciate your opinion, even though I disagree with it.
    I'm not pretending anything; I like helping people.
    I think the best way for you to avoid getting annoyed is to avoid reading my posts.
    If you are concerned about credibility, you may want to abstain from name calling.



    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    Doug - you know what? This is a forum for user assistance, not for promoting companies and products. A *few* people mistakenly believe this is the place they can come to promote their business or the company they work for. They do everything they can to persuade people to switch to whatever it is they are promoting, whether it's a newer version of Windows or a particular program. These few annoy the &&&& out of everyone else with their pompous, arrogant statements. If such people wish to promote, my opinion is that they should take an ad or go someplace suited to that and do it there instead of coming here and attempting to use this group for their purposes while pretending they are only here to be helpful. To me, this is just spamming the group while attempting to take advantage of those who may not realize what the person is really up to. It is important that people who come here trust this forum and when people come in and try to take advantage so that they can profit from it, it drags the credibility of the entire forum down.

    I like google a lot, use their apps and Chrome all the time, but that doesn't make me interested in giving up my email program for business or personal purposes, no matter how many numbers you care to throw around. And, you should not be here to attempt to persuade Windows Secrets forum users to switch to Google products. That is simply not the purpose of this place. People who do what you are doing are a discredit to the companies they work for and do them no favors.

    If you're so hot to promote, then do it the right way - be an advertiser here. Don't try to sneak in under the radar like you're doing now.

    Kelliann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •