Thanks

Install XP pro desktop backup on Vista laptop?

I don't know where this belongs but;

1) I have Vista (up to date and backed up) on my HP laptop, run's slow but ok.
    2) I have XP pro (up to date and backed up) on my desktop/ dual booting it and win7.

I'd like to duke the Vista and install my acroris XP backup on this laptop. Leaving my desktop Just running Win7 --- of which I like.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    The problems you might run into are with system drivers and device drivers. The OS should be fine on the laptop. During the restore, Acronis does format the HD then restores the OS.

You might want to see about getting needed drivers onto a flash drive ahead of time.

The other problem you have to contend with is the dual boot. Use an app such as EasyBCD to remove the XP entry in the MBR and select Win 7 as default. You can then delete the XP partition (you will still have the Image). The second problem is now you have a partition of unallocated space in front of Win 7. Win 7 Disk Manager can resize to unallocated space behind the OS, not in front of. A 3rd party partitioning app will be needed. I use Partition Wizard for this chore. You open the app, click Resize, then grab the left edge of the Win 7 partition and slide it all the way to the left. Once you click apply yuor PC will reboot and the Win 7 partition data will be moved to the front of the new larger partition. This has to be done outside of Windows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2012-08-04)

Thanks
    Great info as alwas...........Thanks.

Thanks
    You are very welcome. Good luck with this endeavor.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You may encounter a significant issue with the proposed move of the XP Pro OS.

Most XP Pro installations on desktops were OEM machines for business use. OEM licences cannot legally be transferred between machines as the licence is tied to the specific hardware the OS was initially installed upon.

Assuming for one moment that it is an OEM machine you will probably encounter activation issues if you transfer the OS to the laptop.

If however the XP Pro installation is using a retail licence then you will be free to move the OS and its licence to the laptop and be left only with the issues Ted describes.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    I had not thought of the license issue. Good point Tinto. This has always been a bug-a-boo with OEM devices and the installed OS's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would say there is a reasonable likelihood your fresh imaged laptop won't boot, if you install the desktop image there. Some of the available imaging software claims to be able to allow restoration to different hardware. I was able to do it once, just once, when I had to replace a faulty disk and also upgraded my motherboard (same manufacturer, though) and CPU. Other attempts failed. Considering laptops have their own specific hardware, I am not sure you'd be successful. I would probably say it's more likely that it would fail... but you can only know if you try.

Of course, doing that would be a license violation and it would, most likely, trigger a need to activate the XP copy, if it worked at all.