New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Windows 7 goes to log out screen after 60 seconds

Oh lucky me. I decided to buy new computer and put 8 yr old Alienware Area 51 to backup status.
    I got HP Pavilion h8-1380t Core i7-3820 3.60 GHz 14 GB ram running at 1600 & Win7 Pro 64-bit. Everything went great in setting up the new guy until I made the sophmore mistake of trying to download a free animated aquarium wallpaper/screen saver. I unchecked the two boxes to add toolbars & search engines, but they attempted to install anyway. This was "MyWebSearch" attempting to add BHO's to Firefox & IE. I fought the devil off for over two hours using WinPatrol + & Spybot; checking No or Do not allow every 20-30 seconds. In between the "change" notices I managed to complete MalwareBytes Anit-Malware & SpyBot S&D and remove, delete, quarantine like 146 objects. Both MBAM & S&D have scanned clean two times but something weird is left somehow: After approximately 60 seconds of inactivity, the screen blacks out for 3 seconds, then goes to a screen similar to the "Log Out" screen, except is shows my user icon with name underneath & underneath that the word "Locked" and under the option to "Switch User". If I click my icon or just press enter, it goes right back to the programs that were open and I keep working. At first I thought the computer was going to sleep, and I changed the time from 25 minutes to never and it still goes to that screen. The screen same as when you select "Log Out" from the Start Icon.
    Anybody have any ideas about where this thing is hiding in the HKeys or a Process? I can't make any sense of Process Explorer & nothing jumps out from a HiJackThis log.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You mentioned a screen saver. Is that still installed? Is "On resume, display log-on screen" checked in its settings at Control Panel, Personalization, Screen Saver.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The screen saver was never installed. I don't even think it was downloaded. I fought off the malware "MyWebSearch" so it never installed anything, either. Therefore it could not be uninstalled from control panel nor Ccleaner.
    I just found the actual screen that comes up every 60 seconds. On the Start/Shutdown button it is the "Lock" option, so some process or something emulating that option every 60 seconds. And because of the interval I was thinking it might be somehow related to the "MyWebSearch" malware.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I suggest you check whether any screen saver is active and may have "On resume, display log-on screen" checked.

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2013-02-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 goes to "locked" screen after 60 seconds inactivity

Bruce
    No screen saver installed so no option to check "On resume, display log on screen". I finally found the screen: it's the "locked" screen. And since I have no password it returns to whatever when I press enter or left click my icon.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows 7 has six default screen savers. Does bottom right of Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization say None?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Solved

Thanks Bruce. You were on the right track all the time. While waiting I googled "Win7 goes to locked screen after 60 seconds inactivity" After reading 20 different answers on various sites. I ran across a reply by Shawn B Keene (a Microsoft MVP) on a MS site that said even if you have "none" screensaver, the box can still be checked to "on resume..."
    I first had to click on change screen saver and there it was and set to 1 minute. I changed it to 100 minutes and unchecked the box. See the uploaded jpg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Logout screen after 60 seconds 7 Pro

I've been having the same problem since Nov 12. Googled the problem and stumbled onto this site. Man, am I glad I clicked! I did as Bruce suggested and so far it fixed the problem. I sat on a page for 5 mins and it didn't go to the log out. I
    went ahead and got a subscription I was so impressed. I'm not a tech at all so I think I made a wise choice in joining WSL. All please bear with me if I happen to ask what appears to be a dumb question but it seems I learn something new
    everyday. I will be coming back to the lounge quite often and picking y'alls brains. Good to be rid of that aggravation.

Many thanks,

Alan D Hawkins(snbbqal)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snbbqal View Post
    I've been having the same problem since Nov 12. Googled the problem and stumbled onto this site. Man, am I glad I clicked! I did as Bruce suggested and so far it fixed the problem. I sat on a page for 5 mins and it didn't go to the log out. I
    went ahead and got a subscription I was so impressed. I'm not a tech at all so I think I made a wise choice in joining WSL. All please bear with me if I happen to ask what appears to be a dumb question but it seems I learn something new
    everyday. I will be coming back to the lounge quite often and picking y'alls brains. Good to be rid of that aggravation.

Many thanks,

Alan D Hawkins(snbbqal)
    Welcome to the Lounge. Glad you were able to resolve your problem. All questions accepted.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snbbqal View Post
    All please bear with me if I happen to ask what appears to be a dumb question but it seems I learn something new everyday. I will be coming back to the lounge quite often and picking y'alls brains.
    Alan: Welcome to the Lounge.

We all had what we would have considered dumb questions in the beginning. But ask away. It's the only way to learn. And trust me, you will learn a lot at Windows Secrets Lounge. There are many masters who freely share their knowledge here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by latimer View Post
    Bruce
    No screen saver installed so no option to check "On resume, display log on screen". I finally found the screen: it's the "locked" screen. And since I have no password it returns to whatever when I press enter or left click my icon.
    As Bruce says the option to display log on screen is there even if you have no screen saver active or installed. Just click on the personalization and then the screen saver 'None' you will see the option to untick 'show log on screen on resume'
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.