Thanks

Strange problem driving me crazy: SOLVED, take a look

I am visiting my grand daughter at my other daughter's house. Of course my grand daughter says, "Grandpa, can you look at my PC. It keeps going to sleep when I'm working on it. It has been working fine until I arrived here" Some may recall this is a new PC (approx. 7 months ago) that I bought as a gift for my grand daughter for college.

The PC kept going to sleep mode while she was typing. Sometimes while adding her password at boot, sometimes while surfing, just very intermittent. It would not do this when I was typing.

I checked Power Option, checked S/W, restored the original OS before any changes, then restored back to the latest Image (made just prior to starting T/S) I mean I spent hours working on this. I did Dell's online PC diagnostic app, twice. Spent an hour on the phone with Dell support (somewhere in India). They stated, "It is probably a virus". As soon as I hung up the phone I told everyone "I think this is a keyboard issue", and "Virus my a _ _", what a waste of an hour!". Ran full scan with MSE and Malwarebytes - clean. I removed the PS and reseated the RAM.

I was getting more bald by the minute. (and you all know I am pretty bald to start with) Finally my daughter says "Maybe they inserted magnets in your wrists". Where this came from no one knows.

Voila, my grand daughter removes her magnetic migraine bracelet and problem is solved!

Hours spent to help my grand daughter (whom I still love very much) and my daughter mentions a solution out of the blue.

Lesson learned: Do not use even low powered magnets near your PC when computing. I will NOT forget this lesson.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-04 at 21:19.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2012-08-04),RetiredGeek (2012-08-04),scaisson (2012-08-04)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting and good to know.
    May I ask did you find out what exactly the reason? Is it the keyboard affected by the magnet? Or other component(s)? I know of one trick but it should not be the cause here. Laptop still uses a mechanical relay as power control. (You can hear a click sound on power up.) Find the relay. Put a magnet there. It would be a nasty joke.

Thanks
    I did not investigate the reason the magnet affected her typing. It was on her right wrist (I had no idea going in this was a magnetic bracelet or that she had just begun wearing it) I suspect there is some type of control electronics affecting the keystroke designation in that section of the laptop keyboard. She has a Dell Inspiron 15R.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy