Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Windows 8 not for tablets?

An interesting reflection by Ars Technica's Peter Bright:

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...t-for-tablets/

Thanks
    It's a bit early for ars to be comming to conclusions based on a product they don't actually have.
    Besides, Microsoft isn't exactly well known for making impeccable presentations.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    They don't have Surface, but they do have tablets (I have seen Peter Bright tweet about it). Just today there multiple tweets on Windows 8 and tablets. So, my interpretation is that this is based on their tablet experiences, at least in part. Of course, what you wrote about Surface is absolutely correct.

Let me also point out that I am not agreeing with Peter Bright, but I think his point of view is interesting as he is a knowledgeable and experienced user of Microsoft's technologies.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What to you think about Windows 8 start menu?

Thanks
    Dan, We have discussed the Win 8 Start Menu in many other threads. We should not be going off topic that far with this thread.

I think part of the problems with the present tablets is that they were NOT designed for Win 8. There have been many articles on the slew of new tablets in the works. As these tablets are released (including the Surface RT) we will most likely get a better feel of how the OS is going to work with tablets. I'm still waiting to see and read about the Surface Pro, and to see what the OEM's develop to compete with the Surface Pro.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think that Peter Bright got it exactly right. Bright is saying:

Is Surface Microsoft's confession that Windows 8 isn't really cut out for tablets?

My answer is that it will be a good operating system for tablets. Where it will fall down is for desktops.

What Microsoft is trying to say is that if you add a keyboard and touchpad or mouse to a tablet with Windows 8, it will perform as a desktop.

And it will perform like a desktop, a desktop with a too small monitor, a too underpowered processor, and a frustrating, barely functional operating system.

Thanks
    I believe you are incorrect. Win 8 RP is performing extremely well on my desktop. Better than my Win 7 Ultimate. Whenever I go back to Win 7, I keep saying to myself, "Come on do something. What's taking so long?" And this is on an excellent, well maintained, very clean system. (I dual boot Win 7 Ultimate and Win 8 RP at present) Win 8 RP has proved itself time and again on my PC. I do not get mixed up in the Win 8 UI versus Desktop UI. I just use the Desktop UI on my conventional PC's and am very much enjoying the experience.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I'll, also, support what Ted has expressed. It is a gross misguided, misconception that Win8 is primarily or specifically designed for anything but, conventional PCs & laptops. It works beautifully on non-Touch regular desktop & laptop machines. One of the major, achieved, design goals was to build an OS (for now and the future) that would do well across the full gamut of various devices.

W/out getting off-topic. Discussions of the Win8 UI & Start are, excuse me but, nothing but, silly. It can have on it whatever one wants or not, can be tailored to suit the individual; using APPs & using Start are 2 separate things... one can certainly select & use APPS w/out using Start (or you can), there is choice!; one can use Desktop, w/ or w/out grabbing any desired APPs @ Start 1st; one can be @, work on or from, go to everything, do everything whilst on Desktop 100% of the time and use regular browsers, as opposed to IE APP... same goes for mail handlers. The OS has great flexibility... there is no need or reason to feel Start as the root of any problem. As for accessing things w/out the old start menu, again a non-issue... w/ what IS in Win8 getting to things is, actually more direct, handy & convenient than ever.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    At present I do NOT own a tablet. Perhaps some day when Surface Pro is available I will look into this or one of the OEM competitors that are sure to spring up. I believe the OEM's will design tablets comparable to Surface Pro. I am not convinced I can get accustomed to the smaller screen.

That said it does not matter. Unless a person knows, or looks at the right corner of my screen in this beta release, they might not be able to tell I'm using Win 8 RP on my laptop. I know because it works faster than Win 7. I know because there are features not available in Win 7 which makes my experience more fun (picture password is just one of the many such features).

This is most definitely an OS that will work, nay IS working, very well on my conventional PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Trying to condemn Win8 on the basis that it is more focused on any device except, traditional desktops & laptops does not hold water, is not valid.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg