New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Virus or Malware? Search.babylon.com and how to get it outta my PC.

This is a Dell Inspiron one with W-7.
    Good unit, I like it.
    I was trying to download <paint.NET> and kept getting options to download through other sites.
    Finally gave up trying to get the MS download and went through one of those 'other' sites.

Suddenly every time I opend a new tab, I get this <search.babylon.net> page.

Someone said I can just insert my CD and reload, but I'm frightend of losing everything I have.

Do any of you know a fool-proof method of getting this thing outta my PC?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

You should be able to remove it without losing anything.
    Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features/Add | Remove Programs and remove Babylon. If it does not to uninstall it, you may try to use something Like Revo Uninstaller. Once removed, you will need to remove it from your browser extensions.

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Addons and make sure it is not listed in “Extensions” or “Plugins”. If it is, left click on it and chose “Disable”, then “remove”.
    In Chrome, click the Wrench icon -> Tools -> Extensions. Uncheck “enabled” next to Babylon and then press the “Remove” button.
    In IE, just click the Tools Icon a the top left and choose Manage Add-ons.

You must restart your browser for the changes to take effect. Don't forget to set a new home page, too.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    And the genuine untainted paint.net application can be obtained from http://www.getpaint.net/download.html
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    A person has to be very careful where they download these things from. Usually there are ways to avoid these piggybacked items, either through an Opt Out check box or simply denying the installation. These things are definitely not easy to find or figure out, especially for people that do not do this every day. I have had to tell my mother to not install anything without contacting me first. It seems like we finally got through to her.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Getting to and downloading what you actually want can be an exercise in frustration with many 3rd party download sites. Often the links are fudged together
    with other download links that one does not want, or just simple too ambiguous to readily spot. These are excellent targets for malicious or spammer related redirects. Often it's larglely ad spam download links placed in very specific locations on the website to make it appear that
    it is the actual download link for the app your looking for, when in fact it is not.

I recommend a Google or Bing search for the application you want to download, and then download it from it's
    parent site of origin (company or person who makes it).

Search: Paint.net
    Untitled1.jpg
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-08-08 at 23:18.