Thanks

Microsoft Surface slate: Acer, resellers predict a riot

Thanks
    I think there's more than enough room for Microsoft to create it's own tablet. If anything it'll give all these OEM's a run for their money.
    Thanks for the article Jerry.

Thanks
    Competition is good for the consumer! That said, I believe the OEM's are scared because they also believe the specs for Surface, especially the Pro version, are excellent.

IMO this will force the OEM's to look at their specs and perhaps make some changes to compete.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    IMO, Microsoft is trying to do what Google has done with its Android hardware - set a certain minimum level of hardware and performance. I believe Microsoft are fed up with OEMs providing underpowered hardware loaded down with extraneous software (i.e. bloatware).

And as Ted said competition is good. If the big OEMs don't like it put out a better product and make Microsoft hardware go away. I think that Logitech has a pretty good business in spite of Microsoft producing much the same hardware.

Joe

Thanks
    That is true, in fact MS has introduced new keyboards and mice for Win 8, probably to try to be more competitive with Logitech. This is great news for consumers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    OEMs will have to adjust. Android is not an alternative, Apple won't license their OS, so OEMs just need to do more than just build "me too" hardware. I hope MS does not budge.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Android 4.1 is not an answer, and probably not Android 5.0 either, which will be out this fall, but Android is growing up. Android will never be the workplace desktop operating system that Windows 7 is, but it could soon be as good a desktop operating system as Windows 8 is. So short term stay with Windows 7, medium term use Linux for the workplace, and then someday maybe Android 12.0 or something.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am sorry, I think you are way off in that prediction. Linux is a has been, in the desktop area. I have seen Linux fans saying "this will be the year" for I don't know how many years. Android is a joke, it basically managed to not even dent Apple's tablet domination, without any other competitors. Not bad for the OS "of the future".

Your obvious dislike of Windows 8 "main UI" is really the only reason I can think for you to forget that Windows 8 has everything Windows 7 has, performing better than Windows 7. I just find it funny that Android "12.0", an unknown OS, will be better, in your thinking, than the best "Windows 7". I am sorry, that really cannot be taken seriously, at least I can't take it. That's just wishful thinking.

Thanks
    Definitely sounds like wishful thinking. Android makes a good phone OS. We have 2 in our household. They are not and will not, IMO, seriously threaten MS in the desktop arena. Heck, Apple does not seriously threaten MS in the desktop arena.

I have said, and I will say again, to date tablets are not a threat to the desktop for real work. Yes, tablets have taken over the playtime arena, for simple things. But until the new, more powerful tablets come out, as it looks to be happening, that can be used for serious work, they will not threaten the desktop IMO. These more serious tablets that can use full versions of an OS, like Win 8 Pro, will be capable of work!

IMO, Win 8 has been and will prove to be a masterful stroke by MS in bringing together 3 different venues of devices together under one OS. Conventional PC's, tablets, and phones using the same OS. No one else can come close to saying that.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Acer seems to have backtracked a bit: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...dows_8_tablets

Thanks
    Note this quote from the article:
    Microsoft isn't deaf to the pleas of OEMs like Acer and others worried about the company's Surface strategy. One thing Microsoft is considering is making sure there's a large enough price gap between the Surface and competing Windows 8 tablets to lessen the impact of competing with its hardware partners
    Sounds like Surface is not going to be aggressively priced.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    We just need to wait and see. If Microsoft wants to have some success, price will be key. Otherwise it just does not make sense.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Acer may just be whining to the press because they are not among the vendors in the first cut of ARM devices. See Microsoft confirms Windows RT OEM partners.

Joe