Star Lounger
    Thanks

WIN8 Desktop Shortcut

I am not sure if this is the same shortcut Ted has Written about but it appears Microsoft has killed it.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._desktop_hacks

Barry

Thanks
    Barry,

No this is not the same. My shortcuts I included in my tutorial to take the scary out and other places actually causes the OS to go to the Win 8-Style UI briefly first, then activates the Desktop Tile which has been placed in the Upper, Left position of all the tiles on the Start Menu.

If while arriving at the Win 8-Style UI, the Upper, Left Tile will be activated with a tap of the Enter key. If someone wanted to, for example, always open IE upon boot, place the IE Tile in the Upper, Left position and that is the tile (app) that will be activated using this procedure.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bwc (2012-08-07)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Classic Shell may be your answer which I find most useful. http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Thanks
    I also use Classic Shell. We have yet to see if it will work with the RTM. Guess we'll have to wait until Oct.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks

I guess we'll have to wait until Oct

Sort of points out the futility of using the beta/preview for any serious purpose like planning conversions, upgrades or rollouts. Here we are relying on rumours and insider info to find out MS has again changed the rules. Trying to anticipate the final product remains a bit of a crap shoot (apt expression, that) except for those privileged to have early access to the RTM version and time on their hands. Some folks have to work.

For sure some of my users will freak if I tell them they have to go thru the interface formerly known as Metro (maybe we should call it "Subway"; no wait, maybe not) to get to something like what they expect their desktop to look like. "I bought a new computer that thinks it's an iPad".

As of now we can't consider Win 8 as a viable migration path; not until some hands-on with the real thing. Maybe wait for SP1, by which time things may settle down. Oct is for sure out of the question. Win 8 is shaping up as a big training/support problem; who's got the time?

Jock