Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook.com: At last, a worthy MS mail program

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Outlook.com: At last, a worthy MS mail program

By Woody Leonhard

Last week, Microsoft unveiled Outlook.com, a replacement for the venerable Hotmail that doesn't look or act anything like the Hotmail you know.

Like Hotmail, Outlook.com is a free Web-based mail service but with a hint of Metro-things to come.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/woodys-windows/outlook-com-at-last-a-worthy-ms-mail-program/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Woody, I still rely on Outlook to keep my mail "close to me", you did not mention if it was possible to use POP or IMAP to download mail received in Outlook.com. Does it exist ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DragVid View Post
    Thanks Woody, I still rely on Outlook to keep my mail "close to me", you did not mention if it was possible to use POP or IMAP to download mail received in Outlook.com. Does it exist ?
    You need to use the Outlook Hotmail connector for that, but yes, it will allow you to use Outlook.com accounts with Outlook. I am not sure the Outlook versions for which the connector is available, but it is available, at least, for Outlook 2007 and 2010 (also works for Outlook 2013, now in preview).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems signing up

Went to Outlook site but could not find any way to open a new account. Only option apparently presented was to convert my existing hotmail one. The only "big blue box" (not very big) was one called "New" to create new email.

did I miss something?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_1 View Post
    Went to Outlook site but could not find any way to open a new account. Only option apparently presented was to convert my existing hotmail one. The only "big blue box" (not very big) was one called "New" to create new email.

did I miss something?
    Sign out of your current account and then go to Outlook.com. You should be able to create a new account there. See this thread - http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Hello-Outlook! for a more detailed discussion of Outlook.com.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My current installed email clients: thunderbird, outlook express and windows live mail (I'm still an XP user like 66% to 75% of the monthly visitors to the website I manage). I jumped on outlook mail the day it was available and I think it's current incarnation pales in comparison to gmail. No pop or imap capability. No ability to manage your inbox by date or from or subject. These seem like simple things that have been around forever. But not with outlook.com for me. Puzzling.

Thanks
    Outlook.com may be a worthy MS mail program, BUT, like hotmail.com, live.co.uk & hotmail.co.uk, you have to enter your username & password everytime which is a bit inconvenient. Using it in WLM or Thunderbird defeats the object.
    You can set it as your home page but it isn't as flexible as the other older mail accounts when MSN could be your home page, giving access to your mail inbox.
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsimpson50 View Post
    No ability to manage your inbox by date or from or subject. These seem like simple things that have been around forever. But not with outlook.com for me. Puzzling.
    You can arrange your inbox at Outlook.com by date, from, subject or conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Look View Post
    You can set it as your home page but it isn't as flexible as the other older mail accounts when MSN could be your home page, giving access to your mail inbox.
    My Outlook.com inbox appears on my "My MSN' home page.

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody
    As close as the two mail services are, I still prefer Gmail's interface.
    Two months ago I decided to give Gmail a try as my primary email account. That experiment lasted one week and then I paid for Microsoft Exchange Online. If you like Outlook, and I do, Gmail just won't cut it.

The primary omission is folders. Google claims that categories are superior because you can apply multiple categories to a message but can only store the message in one place. A good point, but Outlook has had categories for a long time, which means you can have categories and folders. Outlook.com adopts the same strategy.

For a free email account, I'd take Outlook.com over Gmail.com in a heartbeat.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info as always!
    My question(s):
    I use Outlook 2007 and have been concerned in past as to what will happen if i upgrade Office, since it no longer is part of the more 'basic' versions. Does Outlook.com mean the death of Office based Outlook altogether?
    If not, is there a way to keep using Outlook 2007 with Office 2010 or 2013?

Next: My Iphone is synced to the outlook email app. What is the situation with using Outlook.com?

thanks for all your help in the past and now!

Barry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    You can arrange your inbox at Outlook.com by date, from, subject or conversation. Bruce
    Strange how I missed that before. I list my mail with the newest last and I couldn't find a way to do that. Now I see I just have to click on date until the arrow goes the right way. One problem solved!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    My Outlook.com inbox appears on my "My MSN' home page.

Bruce
    Seem I'll need to have a closer look.
    Jim.
    May you live as long as you want, and want to as long as you live.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No thanks, I will keep my Outlook 2007 email client. All my email is routed via GMail so I can use that as my mail archive. Gmail is great when I need to search for an email that I may have filed in a folder somewhere in Outlook. Also, Outlook.com forces me to read every email since opening the "Reading Pane" actually opens perhaps dangerous emails. Gmail solves this problem by using snippets that are the leading few characters of the text in the message. Of course, Outlook 2007/2010 gives me the powerful view "Messages wih Auto Preview" that gives me about 3 lines of text at the beginning of the message. Yahoo Mail, Outlook.com, Hotmail, and most other offer nothing even as advanced as snippets and not even Thunderbird offers Messages with auto preview.

Outlook.com also does not have integration with a calendar, nor provide appointment alarms. Without an appointment book Outlook.com is worthless. GMail is integrated with Google Calendar, but it does not give appointment alarms either. I think that Ourlook.exe may be Microsoft's very best software in the 2007 edition. I will not replace it any time soon.
    Last edited by dickcaro; 2012-08-09 at 17:41.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dickcaro View Post
    No thanks, I will keep my Outlook 2007 email client. All my email is routed via GMail so I can use that as my mail archive. Gmail is great when I need to search for an email that I may have filed in a folder somewhere in Outlook.
    Outlook.com also searches all folders by default, but this and other search filters can be changed at Advanced Search.

Also, Outlook.com forces me to read every email since opening the "Reading Pane" actually opens perhaps dangerous emails.
    You can turn the reading pane off. And view message source in plain text if you're worried about reading an email on the web.

Outlook.com also does not have integration with a calendar, nor provide appointment alarms. Without an appointment book Outlook.com is worthless. GMail is integrated with Google Calendar, but it does not give appointment alarms either. I think that Ourlook.exe may be Microsoft's very best software in the 2007 edition. I will not replace it any time soon.

Outlook.com does have an integrated calendar, with event reminders.

I just accepted an emailed meeting request via Outlook.com and it automatically created an appointment in my calendar with a 15-minute reminder set by default.

I can also create an event there and invite people from my contact list.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-08-09 at 21:37.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's all well and good. But all I want to do is ask you a question about your recent article on Outlook.com! And there does not seem to be a way of contacting you and asking you a question. My question has to do about what the heck is 'Outlook.com'? I have been using Outlook for many years. I did try LiveMail for a day or so when I upgraded to Win7, but went right back to Outlook almost immediately. Now using Outlook 2007. Is this 'new' Outlook a replacement or update of my current Outlook -- and why should I care?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast