1. New Lounger
    Thanks

ssvagent.exe tries to open when I open IE9

I updated my Java to 7 update5. Now everytime I open IE9 I get a security window that says ssvagent.exe, author Oracle, Inc, wants to run. I always deny, it always pops up even if I change tabs in the browser. A google search says it's anything from a bug in Java to Malware. What is this and how do I get rid of it?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 985 Posts
    It seems to be a legitimate program, a Java update agent. This may help you prevent it from running: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-84fb48e69deb

4. New Lounger
    Thanks

SSvagent.exe

Thanks. When I did this AND deleted an older version of Java that was showing up in contrl panel/programs and features, it stopped coming up.

5. Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you solved it .

Thanks
    When Java updates, you can stop the Scheduler and automatic updates in the Java Control Panel. This usually stops those extra agents from interfering with online activities. Something similar happens with Flash Player if you don't select not to let Flash get automatic updates when installing an update. If you prefer automatic updates, these processes will be there and may serve as minor annoyances, usually nothing more.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Java always seemed one of those apps that did not update well. I found if I uninstalled the older version first these type problems did not occur. Of course now I have uninstalled Java without an issue. If you find an app or webpage that really needs it you can add it back in. I think RG mentioned Arachnophilia needs it. I used to use this app, but have not in quite some time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Some of the features in OpenOffice/LibreOffice are Java Runtime dependent. That's why I have to constantly update Jave Runtimes. And no, the older versions are no longer left behind. The current update installers remove the old versions or overwrite them. It's Flash Player updates which sometimes don't clean up old versions of the Active-X controls.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-20 at 23:07.
    -- Bob Primak --

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2012-08-20)

10. Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    And no, the older versions are no longer left behind. the current update installers remove the old versions or overwrite them.
    I feel that is an important statement to make. As long as Java is configured to inform you about updates and they are installed, things should go fine.