New Lounger
    Thanks

Hardwired router security

Are all routers equally safe/secure when only hardwired connections are used? Whenever one reads about router security it always pertains to the wireless connections, but I don't use my router's wireless capabilities. So if I want to buy the most secure router, I just need to know whether there are security differences when only hardwired connections are used.

Many thanks,

Two Rivers

Thanks
    Look for a route that conforms to the WPA-2 security mode. Also make sure the router has a H/W firewall. Most modern routers do. If you never use wireless then these specs do not make a difference, except that for future use, who knows what might come along. For wireless get the latest band, I believe N Band is latest although many new routers have B/G/N capabilities. Get a router that is dual band, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Regarding wired security, there isn't much differentiation among the different vendors, that I could have noticed. The routers will include a firewall which you should turn on and you should also make sure you change the default administration password.

With non enterprise grade firewalls, as I said, products are very similar. However, some products offer some additional features like extended logging or email alarms when the firewall suspects someone is trying to break in. Usually these features come in top of the line hardware and I am not at all convinced you will benefit from the extra cost.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The router is not really a security device, but they do have features designed to keep the bad guys away from your machine.
    As long as you use a modern router, connect the Internet to the WAN port and your machines to the LAN ports you will be reasonably secure from the worst ravages of the script kiddies.

cheers, Paul

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Be sure to turn off remote management (unless you absolutely need it) and change the default router login username and password.

It often takes no more than 3 attempts to get into a commercial grade router if the admin credentials have not been changed from default.

Granted, that is from inside the network, but if remote management is turned on, the security risk can be exposed externally too.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you never use wireless, you should also turn off the wireless mode on the router. Most routers have wireless turned on by default. Don't just turn off the broadcast of the SSID, but disable wireless all together.