New Lounger
    Thanks

Identifying floating point division by zero error popup

A few weeks ago I started getting popup windows alerting me to a floating point division by zero error. Sometimes I get one and sometimes I get a bunch of them stacked on top of each other.

There is no identifying info in the popup as to which program is complaining. I have tried to identify the offending program, but since I can't replicate the problem by doing something specific and the popups occur randomly as far as I can tell, and I have a lot of running programs including Outlook addins, browser addons, etc., I can't figure out a strategy to isolate the issue by turning things off systematically.

I looked online a bit, and saw issues with flash players playing older videos, but I have updated all players I could find to the current versions and that has not solved the issue.

Does anyone have a clue about this specific issue, or a general suggestion about how to identify the offending program so that I can update or remove it?

Thanks,

Barry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked the Application event log?

Joe

Thanks
    Look at your event logs. Click the Start Orb and type "event" in the search bar, then click on "Event Viewer" at the top of the column. You'll get a UAC popup; click OK (if you're logged on as Administrator) or enter the Administrator password and click OK.

This will open the Overview and Summary of Event Viewer. Click the "Error" section in the center panel, then in the Action panel on the right under "Error", click on "View All Instances of This Event". That will turn the center section into a summary of all "Error" events (there will likely be thousands). You're looking for recent events. If you click on an event in the top panel, a fairly detailed explanation of the error appears in the panel below.

If you're getting a lot of these errors, it shouldn't be too difficult to track it down.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but I had already checked the event viewer, and checked again just now after replies to this were posted. I can't see anything that matches the popup error I am seeing or the timeframe when the error last appeared, which was shortly after I posted to this forum.

Thanks
    Have you checked for Malware? It sounds unlikely you would be getting a valid popup without anything hitting the event log.

Possibly a rootkit, so try Malwarebytes or Kaspersky live CD (aka rescue disk 10).

Can you capture an image of one of the popups you are referring to, and post it here?

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Security software is installed and current (I have Microsoft Security Essentials and the resident Malwarebytes). I just ran a full Malwarebytes scan and it can back clean.

Here's a screen shot of the popups, which are sitting over my desktop wallpaper.

floating-point.png
    Last edited by btuber; 2012-08-10 at 10:58.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So yesterday I saw a large flurry of popups followed by an application crash from one of the utility programs I keep resident (DesktopInfo, available here: http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/index.shtml). I checked the author's website, found a newer version than the one I had been using, downloaded it, and I now seem to be error free, at least overnight. So maybe this is resolved?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Seems you may have found the culprit .