Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry "This message may contain a virus or there is not enough disk space. "

A few weeks ago I started getting warning messages while downloading emails into Thunderbird. Here's one:

There was an error downloading the following message:
    Subject: [subject line displayed here]
    This message may contain a virus or there is not enough disk space. Skip this message?
    [Yes] [No]

I'm seeing two additional error dialogs that seem related. And I get multiple with each email download.

One says "The message could not be filtered to folder "Junk" because writing to folder failed. Verify that you have enough disk space, and that you have write privileges to the file system, then try again." In this error dialog, the folder name varies. I have confirmed I have >100 GB free, and that should be plenty for anything Thunderbird needs.

The other error dialog says "Unable to write to the mailbox. Make sure the file system allows you write privileges, and you have enough disk space to copy the mailbox." I was NOT trying to copy any mailbox at the time this occurred; Thunderbird was just Getting Mail.

I just got the first message and was able to tell the message was legitimate and work-related. I answered NO to the prompt about whether I wanted to skip it ... but I can't find that email anywhere.

I've determined that this error doesn't come from Thunderbird, nor from my email host. Norton tech support assures me it's not coming from there, and I have no other virus software running. In addition, I have at least 85GB free, and recently ran a CHKDSK and a Defrag. The disk seems fine and healthy.

How can I troubleshoot this and stop it?
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't use Thunderbird, but it seems it can be a Thunderbird problem writing the message. A quick search suggests that you try to compact your folders.

Thanks
    It could be a warning from your mail ISP.
    Check your ISP mail setting..

I have mine set to NO FILTERING.

A lot of times, if a message contains a EXE attachment your ISP will block it thinking it's a virus.

I had that happen with Earthlink until I turned off the email filtering.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"