Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where did my music files go?

I was working on getting music to a new computer on my network. I had gotten a bunch of songs to the new hard drive and set up WMP where to look for songs etc. I have moved all the folders of music etc. to another hard drive like I always do. Well, anyway I was looking in my music folder when I noticed I had a bunch of doubles now. Not thinking and probably over tired I must have pushed the wrong button because they all started going away and before I could do anything they were all GONE. None in the trash. Where did they go?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    have you tried checking the properties of the files which may provide its location.
    hope it helps.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you still have the files where you moved them to?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    These perhaps got moved to a library.

If these are MP3 files or some other type, you might do a wild card search for them. Example in the search field type *.mp3 for MP3 files.

You might also try a files recovery program such as http://www.piriform.com/recuva
    It is important to do this as soon as possible so any recoverable files do not get over written.

Thanks
    Try downloading Everything search and searching for one of your missing songs with it. For file searches I find it easier to use and more complete than Windows search. It even includes the recycle bin in its searches.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-08-10 at 16:01.

Thanks
    Do the files still show up in WMP?

WMP can and will move files depending on your settings.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Well, anyway I was looking in my music folder when I noticed I had a bunch of doubles now. Not thinking and probably over tired I must have pushed the wrong button because they all started going away and before I could do anything they were all GONE.
    This could be a "benefit" of using JUNCTIONS or REPARSE POINTS in Windows Vista or Windows 7 or 8.
    These are links placed in one folder that connect to another "destination" folder and when you look at the link you see the destination folder with all its contents.
    You therefore see the same file at two (or more) locations and think you have duplicates.

If you delete the "destination" which holds the real and original file then the virtual presence shown by the link will disappear - gone forever.

If you delete the link then the virtual presence is no more - and it is possible the real and original files will also be deleted unless ACL protection was in force. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/205524/en-us
    Under "Usage Recommendations" it states :-
    Never delete a junction point by using Explorer, a del /s command, or other file system utilities that walk recursively into directory trees. These utilities affect the target directory and all subdirectories.
    If your files cannot be found then you may need to use something like RECUVA from Piriform.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva
    Please be warned that your deleted files are now part of "free space" and every write access to the relevant partition may corrupt a file you hope to RECUVA.
    Do NOT install RECUVA - or anything else - on such a partition.
    Do NOT "Recuva" a deleted file to such a partition because that may corrupt the next file you want to Recuva.
    Help is available at
    http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=16