Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 freezes when .pst file above 1.4 GB

Outlook 2010 installation single laptop. All updates. Single mailbox. Significant RSS activity.
    Rarely re-boot. Kept in sleep mode when not in use.

Outlook slows and freezes.
    Checking Task manager shows outlook.exe size approaching 1.4 mb

Outlook 1-4mb.png
    On reboot outlook.exe shows 0.04 mb and runs properly.
    Outlook Start.png

This happens continuously for at least a year.
    Have tried many repairs including OCAT-2.

Recently noticed that when after unread mail are previewed, the unread mail folder does not clear until focus changes to a new folder.
    Wondering if that is signalling some sort of broken clearing process within outlook which is building a cache somewhere?

Any help or directions how to trouble-shoot appreciated.

Bob P
    Last edited by Bob P; 2012-08-10 at 08:16. Reason: duplicate picture

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It seems that something is causing Outlook to never release memory and actually increase it's memory usage to the point that it will simply crash.

Are you using any add-ons? Do you close outlook when you put your PC in sleep mode? Closing it before going into sleep mode and opening it afterwards maybe could solve it from a practical point of view.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook is only add-inn. Win7.
    I keep outlook open whenever the PC is on, which is about 12 hrs per day.
    Currently only recycle outlook when it freezes. (about once per day)

Administrator
    Thanks
    To check what add-ins Outlook may have, choose File -> Options, then Add-ins.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Bob P (2012-08-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whoops- ONenote only add-in active. BP

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't think that one would be a problem.
    Do you use external calendars?
    What size is your .pst file?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Bob P (2012-08-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No external calendars. PST file recently compacted to 1.4 mb!!!!!!!
    interesting. The problem occurs when the outlook.exe file approaches the size of the PST file?
    Make any sense- ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Surely you mean 1.4 GB, not 1.4 mb? That's 1.4 GB in your initial picture, which is absolutely huge.

If it is 1.4 GB and although it shouldn't cause such problems, I would recommend trying to get the .pst size down. You can try simply a compact operation, but you will probably would fare better if you archived older posts and compacted the .pst file afterwards. I try not to let my current file very big. Usually half a meg is the number that gets me to start archiving and compacting.

This may not solve your problem, though, even if it will likely improve Outlook's performance. I confess I never seen that much memory in use. I have seen mine get near 300MB, but 1.4 GB is just beyond reasonable.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Bob P (2012-08-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I get a lot of inbound information. And do archive regularly. The 1.4 gig is after compacting this morning.

Will do some clean up. Did not know there were any PST size concerns with the new format?
    Bob P

Administrator
    Thanks
    According to Microsoft, there should not be. However, my experience has been that when size gets a bit bigger, memory usage starts to increase and things slow down a bit.

As I said, I can't really see anything that would cause what you are experiencing. I am just trying to minimize it...

One other thing that may be worth trying, if you are up to it, would be to use a dedicated RSS reader. I quite like Google Reader, but as a standalone app, FeedDemon is a good option. I certainly prefer it to read feeds in Outlook.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Bob P (2012-08-10)

Thanks
    By any chance was that PST file carried forward from an older version of Outlook, such as 2002?

The older PST format did have a 1+GB size limitation, and the symptoms were often strange as it neared that size.

It might be worth while creating a new PST, and then importing the contents of the existing PST into it.

Having said that, I quite agree with Rui that you should never let any PST get that large; PST files are notoriously flaky and one of that size is a backup headache and will take forever to do a repair should that become necessary.

I have several customers who run huge PST files, often as much as 3 gig, against my advice. However the nature of their traffic is they just delete old stuff and then compact, so they haven't had (too many) problems. But they don't experience memory usage and hangs like you are describing. They are all running OL 2007 and 2010.

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input Jock.

Have cut the file down to 300mb and am watching for problems. None seen yet.
    Also cut the RSS feed activity.
    But really like the RSS feed visibility in outlook. Particularly if watching auctions, craiglist etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, since you cut the size and that seemed to improve things, you can really test a bit now. Maybe let RSS grow a bit more and see if it brings back problems. If you does, then you know the cause and you can adopt other solutions. If the feeds do not bring the problem back, then you will know it will be the RSS.

To be honest, I think the latter is more likely the cause. I have seen someone running with an 8GB .pst file and it did not have that many issues - although it made Outlook slower than a snail.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bob,

For instructions on converting your .pst file, per Jock's suggestion, see this Microsoft Article.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think we are overlooking the most common cause of this problem as I have had numerous customers with this problem and in each case it was being cause by the .pst file residing on a drive that is formatted FAT32. FAT32 supports a maximum file size if 1.4GB. Change the drive formatting to NTFS and your problem will go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast