5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I learn Visual Basic 6.0 for XP and or whatever version Windows 7 h

How can I learn Visual Basic 6.0 for XP and or whatever version Windows 7 has?

I have MSFT Office 2000 and I also use MSFT Office Standard 2007 on computers at a non-profit organization I volunteer at. I like to create Macros and I would like to learn how to use Visual Basic. My XP computer shows I have MSFT VB 6.0. At the office I volunteer at they have 2 Vista & 2 XP computers. I do not know what VB versions they have. However, I plan on buying a Windows 7 computer sometime in 2013 and Id like to have the office buy new Windows 7 computers also. Windows 8 can be considered but that needs to be determined.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The best way to start is to do a few things with Record Macro. This can be seen from the Macros icon in the View ribbon (or you can enable the Developer ribbon).

Just start recording a few steps, then Stop Recording from the same icon and look at the code generated using the View Macros/Edit option.

When you have become familiar with the simple steps you can go a bit further using the VBA Help and the Universal Help Desk (aka Google). You will soon learn how to frame your searches/questions to get the most relevant responses. Unfortunately there are very many gaps in the VBA help.

I presume you have a grasp of the Object Model concepts. Without this you have much more extensive problems.

You might also look at the following microsoft urls to start on Visual Basic itself:
    msdn.microsoft.com/library/Vstudio/k6a6etxs (Developing Applications with Visual Basic)
    channel9.msdn.com/Series/Visual-Basic-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners (Visual Basic Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners)
    msdn.microsoft.com/library/Vstudio/dd492171.aspx (A series of simple tutorials)
    msdn.microsoft.com/library/Vstudio/dd460655.aspx (Programming concepts)

You then need to look at the object model for the appropriate office program (Word, Excel, Access, etc).
    for example, for Word, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../ff837519.aspx
    You need to be prepared to do a fair bit of work, but as you progress you will start to get a feel for where to go to find out how to achieve a goal. Keep learning in small steps!
    Last edited by Warwickw; 2012-09-28 at 01:50. Reason: typing error

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    warwickw thank you for your suggestion. I like your plan

Thanks
    Macros is what first sparked my interest. Then found Gary Beene's tutorial site that opened the doors. After that, I was able to understand just about any Vb literature. So if you want to develope a good foundation, start here....http://www.garybeene.com/vb/tutor.htm

HTH,
    Maud