Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

RTM builds of Windows 8 reveal Microsoft blocked any bypassing of the Metro

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/81197

Still not clear whether the Enter key with the desktop icon in the upper left position and/or third party start button add ons like classic shell will still work.

Jerry

Thanks
    This shortcut was also blocked in Win 8 RP. It worked in Win 8 CP, not in Win 8 RP. I guess what we are having to wait for is will Classic Shell or others work, and will the Desktop Tile at the upper left of the Start Menu still work as it does in Win 8 RP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft seems to be really determined to get users to the Metro UI page. This is partly because they want to get users into the app store, and partly because they believe that if they have a common interface across the range of devices that Windows 8 runs on, then if somebody is using one class of devices, then they will be comfortable with other devices that have the same user interface. If you have Windows 8 on the desktop or laptop, they believe that that will push you to Windows 8 tablets and phones.

Of course, first they have to get people onto Windows 8 on desktops and laptops. My wife has a windows 7 laptop and an iPad. It's an older laptop that has been upgraded to Windows 7 (remember the pre-release upgrades to Windows 7 Home Premium for 49.95?). So the question is, will my wife upgrade her laptop to Windows 8, or get a new laptop with Windows 8, and then get a windows 8 tablet?, or will she get a Macbook, and then upgrade her ipad to an ipad 4th generation when they come out? It's my wife's choice, she will get what she wants, but she likes the iPad more that she likes the Windows 7 laptop. What will she think of Windows 8? I don't know, I can't get her to look at it.

I know that some people like/love Windows 8, but some people don't. Vista is a lesson in what happens when some people don't like an operating system. What will happen if a lot of people really don't like an operating system? It's going to be interesting to watch.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You realize that Vista sold 180 million licenses in the first 18 months? And that was a really badly performing OS, disliked by just about everybody? That really should put your opinion into perspective. Windows 8 is way better than Vista, so I think before making such dire predictions you really should exert some more caution...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Until the official versions comes out we really won't know what will work. MS seems to have developed a lot of contempt for plain desktop users. As far as I'm concerned considering MS attitude they should make a big raspberry the official startup sound and make sure the user can't disable that either. They've know since the first beta release that a large percentage of people do not like Metro or what ever they call it now and haven't changed their minds. I know you can customize the desktop but who knows what they will disable in future security updates. It's funny there wasn't a security issue with gadgets until they decided to eliminate it from Windows 8. Then suddenly they recommended Windows 7 and Vista users quit using it.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You realize that Vista sold 180 million licenses in the first 18 months? And that was a really badly performing OS, disliked by just about everybody? That really should put your opinion into perspective. Windows 8 is way better than Vista, so I think before making such dire predictions you really should exert some more caution...
    It's interesting that you seem to think Vista was a success. That's not the general opinion. It's also interesting that you would would speak of putting ones opinion into perspective.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The real problem with Vista was it wasn't ready for release when it first came out. MS was working on one OS that had a major flaw in it. They just rushed Vista out have a new OS on the market.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have faith - all may not be lost! An unnamed friend reports that Classic Shell DOES work in the RTM version of Windows 8 Pro.

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    It's interesting that you seem to think Vista was a success. That's not the general opinion. It's also interesting that you would would speak of putting ones opinion into perspective.
    Well, those are some amazing numbers for a "failure", aren't they? That's all I was trying to say.

Thanks
    180 million licenses in the first 18 months. That sounds like an awful lot of licenses. 10 million copies per month. Hmmm!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    180 million licenses in the first 18 months. That sounds like an awful lot of licenses. 10 million copies per month. Hmmm!
    As you say 10 million sales per month. That just sounds like normal PC sales. I'm not impressed. I'm not going to look it up, but I'm pretty sure it was less than expected.

Administrator
    Thanks
    So 10 million a month is a failure? Just asking to see how Windows 8 will be judged a failure. Of course, this compares with 60 or million iPads sold since it was launched in 2010, or the 5% share of the market for Macs...

As I said, I was just trying to put your dire predictions into perspective...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    As you say 10 million sales per month. That just sounds like normal PC sales. I'm not impressed. I'm not going to look it up, but I'm pretty sure it was less than expected.
    Windows 7 is still selling at 18 - 20 million per month. That seems to be "normal" PC sales now. I do not know what "normal" PC sales were when Vista was released. Vista was selling at about 10 million per month for the first 12 - 24 months. Some people consider it a failure but by most standards it was a financial success. The tech press and glitterati did not like Vista even though after service pack 1 its most glaring problems were fixed. Vista's issues have been and could be again the subject of another long thread.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Windows 7 is still selling at 18 - 20 million per month. That seems to be "normal" PC sales now. I do not know what "normal" PC sales were when Vista was released. Vista was selling at about 10 million per month for the first 12 - 24 months. Some people consider it a failure but by most standards it was a financial success. The tech press and glitterati did not like Vista even though after service pack 1 its most glaring problems were fixed. Vista's issues have been and could be again the subject of another long thread.

Joe
    If Windows 8 maintains the current level of sales of 18 to 20 million a month, it will be a "success", or at least not a failure. If there is a sharp increase in sales it will be a real success, and if there is a drop-off in sales to maybe 15 million per month or less, it will be a failure.

Most people don't follow these things. Many people are not aware that there will be a new version of Windows in October. When these people get a new computer, either they will be okay with Windows 8, or they won't. There will be some of each, but will it affect sales? If most people like it or are at least okay with it, the word will get out, and sales will surge. If most people are baffled and frustrated, that word will also get out. Sales will fall. Telling them to google it will not be helpful. We will see what happens in October.

My wife has a small Gateway notebook with an 11.6 inch screen with Vista. That's the smallest screen that still has a full sized keyboard. She only turns it on when she is traveling. Vista RTM sucked. I can't say what Vista was like after SP1, because I didn't check it out, but since SP2, it seems to be okay. The problems do seem to be fixed, although at this point, it doesn't matter, unless you are buying a used computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    (...) if there is a drop-off in sales to maybe 15 million per month or less, it will be a failure. (...)
    For Microsoft, 15 million a month is failure. Ok, I get it.
    Android tablets are a success, so much so that they are stated to be an alternative that will wipe Windows off the face of the earth, albeit in version 12.0 (how much are they selling, really?).

Honestly, I know it's hard to put our personal preferences out of the way, but some restraint should be exerted, IMO.

I predict Windows 8 will sell less than 7, but probably any version after 7 would. Yes, the new UI will take getting used to and yes, there will be some retraction for some users. I seriously doubt Apple gains anything from it or Linux, or Android. Windows 8 will sell millions of copies per month, though. I think it will be something between Vista and 7, numbers wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast