Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reset S.M.A.R.T.

Hello
    Anybody knows if it is possible to reset the S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.) of a Hard Drive?
    Many thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by didadocom View Post
    Hello
    Anybody knows if it is possible to reset the S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.) of a Hard Drive?
    Many thanks
    didadocom,
    Hello... Don't really understand the question ... S.M.A.R.T. monitors a Hard drive in real time like the program HD Sentinel The only way that i can think is that when you replace the Hard Drive with another it will report the new findings ... If there is some "problem" with a Hard Drive it's not going away Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the quick answer is no.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    You might find an option in the BIOS (Enable/Disable) under the HD controller.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick responses.

When the BIOS starts the S.M.A.R.T. of the hard drive sends an alert that is BAD and must be replaced. But after pressing F1 it starts and works perfectly!

I know that it is posible to disable it in the BIOS, but I want to know if it is a way to reset or put all the parameters back to factory default.

All the programs that I have tried only checks the status, make tests, but no one can do what I need including Hard Disk Sentinel Pro, CrystalDiskInfo, DiskCheckup, HD Tune Pro, HDDScan.

There is the DeepSpar PS3000 that can do it, but is very expensive.
    Last edited by didadocom; 2012-08-12 at 21:47.

Thanks
    What SMART is reporting is that your hard drive is failing! Resetting the counters will not change the fact that an error threshold for the drive has been exceeded.

I would advise you to back up your data on that drive ASAP before it completely fails.

If the drive is still under warranty, visit the manufacturers website and download their diagnostic software. This will generate a code which can be used to RMA the drive.

Thanks
    I second what Browni is saying, what your asking is not possible.
    SMART can only be disabled or enabled, and by the looks of it, it's telling you that you may have an up and coming problem with the drive.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Off course I make a backup every day.

But the question is that the drive is working like this from more than a year and a half!
    And when I run all the above programs no one reports anything bad. All parameters are OK!

Thanks
    Then more detail is needed.
    Could it be that the drive is not up to speed when SMART starts, that will send up flags?
    Could it be that there is a problem with the power supply or that it is too small for your system?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by didadocom View Post

But the question is that the drive is working like this from more than a year and a half!
    And when I run all the above programs no one reports anything bad. All parameters are OK!
    Hello... In my post to you #2 i suggested that you download Hd Sentinel Pro free trial ...This will give you much more "Info" The fact that you're getting problem messages depends on the health of the HD and the program that is reading it.... Regards Fred

PS: the program is well worth the $$$ FRN's (Federal Reserve Notes)
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello... In my post to you #2 i suggested that you download Hd Sentinel Pro free trial ...This will give you much more "Info" The fact that you're getting problem messages depends on the health of the HD and the program that is reading it.... Regards Fred

PS: the program is well worth the $$$ FRN's (Federal Reserve Notes)
    Yes I have it: Hard Disk Sentinel Pro v4.00, and it gives more information that the others (CrystalDiskInfo, DiskCheckup, HD Tune Pro, HDDScan) but reports NO ERROR!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Then more detail is needed.
    Could it be that the drive is not up to speed when SMART starts, that will send up flags?
    Could it be that there is a problem with the power supply or that it is too small for your system?
    It is a Western Digital Caviar 1600BB (160 Gb.) and the power supply has 650W. The other drive (Seagate 500 Gb.) report no problems.

Thanks
    Which attributes on the drive is SMART flagging as bad?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Which attributes on the drive is SMART flagging as bad?
    All the values are normal with the different programs. There is no advice or warning about anything.

Only when the PC starts the BIOS stop and flashes the message: The drive is BAD, backup and replace it. F1 to continue, and then Windows XP starts normally.

Thanks
    Just a guess.
    It looks to me that your BIOS is not compatible with SMART and this HDD, I would turn off SMART if it bothered me or just tolerate it.
    Have you verified that you have the latest BIOS and firmware in the HDD, maybe updating them will help?
    Or simply moving this HDD to a different controller to give it more time to spin up before its initial query.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast