Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Problematic perception that Win8 is a problem?

I'm going to suggest that part of the problem w/ people using & understanding Win8 & taking issue w/ the UI may be the following...

One does not need to 'dwell' on Start. One can use the familiar Desktop & yet, still, select any desired APPs BUT, let or have those active APPs (say, like Weather) sit on the APP Bar... no interference w/ Desktop, no actually leaving it (to Start). I think maybe people are not aware of & using the APP Bar in conjunction w/ Desktop. If so, I suggest there would be much less grumbling about Start, APPs & the Win8 UI.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-08-12 at 15:31.

Thanks
    Just for grins and giggles......riddle me this

How is John Q. Public supposed to know all that, when he's just gone to Wal-Mart and bought a new PC and gets it home and finds it has Windows 8 on it, and then he's met by the Metro UI screen. ???

Can you say "Store Return!" ???
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    That is the conundrum MS is presented with. How to teach people to use this new OS. I suspect the sales people will learn quickly to point customers to these forums for help to get started. I would be willing to sell my tutorial on taking the scary out of this OS if it would help,
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Just for grins and giggles......riddle me this

How is John Q. Public supposed to know all that, when he's just gone to Wal-Mart and bought a new PC and gets it home and finds it has Windows 8 on it, and then he's met by the Metro UI screen. ???

Can you say "Store Return!" ???
    Take the time to LEARN how to use your computer. Google works just fine last I checked.
    Plenty of content on YouTube in terms of Windows 8 tutorials and such.
    The whole industry just can't stop because you have people with absolutely no ambition and motivation to learn anything new.

If one switches to a MAC, there will still be some degree of learning that needs to be done, it's like anything else in life.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    It is, also, all in HELP in the OS, itself.

And allow me to say this about that (teehee)...

It doesn't need or take heaps of "customizing".

And maybe people won't react, respond or adopt well, willing or enthusiastically, even, w/ interest or curiosity IF they hear BEFORE they themselves bother w/ it, that it is a "mess". Rather would taint the notion of, even, investigating, for oneself. This would only increase & heighten any, possibly, already, existing trepidation.

Personally, after using Win8 daily for more than 5 months will not, cannot agree w/ the attitude or perception or portrayal of Win8 being a "mess". I, too, had only prior Windows as a familiar reference. Yet, Win8 is not hard to learn or adjust to it, it needs no huge customizing or tweaking nor 3rd party add-ins or retro-fits. Nor do I (MY ENTITLED OPINION) find it kind or helpful to, in advance, give the impression that it's awful & would be gruesome & distasteful to everybody & anybody to try using it. I will stand firm the "Tile Style", the Start screen and APPs are not, actually, an issue & do not cause a problem, impedance or obstacle.

I, again personal opinion, not criticising anyone for differing views, feel Windows8, in reality, does not deserve to have people, in advance, thinking they surely must have a certain fearful, turned-off understanding of the OS. The OS is a fine piece of work & timely as we walk into the future of computing. The lack of a happy perception of Win8 and appreciation of it, in the 'grand scale' sense grows out of a lack of understanding of the OS and how it can, in fact & indeed be a pleasant, productive experience for End Users.

No my glasses are not rose coloured, I just feel like sharing the enjoyment that this technically impressive Windows8 Operating System is and can easily be for many on many devices.

Will there be enquiries, queries and requests for help and instructions? Yep, certainly. What I question is the idea that this is something terrible or why it has to be treated as something terrible. To me, an IT Pro, it is more like a 'so what?' thing, just the nature of the beast. Having to seek guidance to discover something is not terrible. Same happens in many contexts, always has, always will and certainly in technology.

The shocking (tongue in cheek) thing is, humans, being the creatures they are will, for the most part, @ some point cope. For some it will be their 'familiar' OS; for them, they will never have known what all the fuss was about, anyway.

Sorry, but, I just don't/can't buy into this idea that Windows8 is traumatic, terrifying nor weird or difficult to use. After more than 5 months, personally, I have, truly, found it quite the opposite.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-08-13 at 13:19.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    All of us who quickly & easily discovered how to use Windows8 are, hate to surprise anyone, part of "John Q. Public". Nor do any of same wonder about return policies... Hard to say... there may (shocker) be lots more of the same ilk. The tipping point lies in attitude & perception; I have said & expressed this before & will continue to hold fast to it. OR that's my story & I'm sticking to it. Oh well...

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    Maybe y'all weren't around when Windows XP first came out. Many of those PC's went right back to the store. I know that from first-hand experience, because I used to install new PC's for Circuit City.

When confronted with a brand new PC, not even set up yet, how on earth is the new PC user going to know how to even get through SETUP, let alone know how to get to a forum? His old PC may have crashed so he's left with a new OS that is NOT friendly to the old XP user or even the Vista user.
    He had Outlook Express for his email, for ten years or more, and that's what he still wants. Windows Mail is close and I can make it work in Win-7, but won't work on Win-8. ???

You "Experts" are so far out of touch with reality, you really need to get out of your comfort zone and see how the real world lives.

I've gone through this 'New OS' thing all the way back to Windows 95 and for the untrained user, it can be a nightmare!

Thank goodness, there weren't that many changes in DOS, and if you knew DOS 2.0, you could work with DOS 6.22, but throughout the different versions of Windows, it's been a completely different story. Every time a new OS hits the stores, my phone rings off the hook.

I'm currently learning Windows 8 for one reason, and one reason only, and that is so I can support my customers when they start buying new PC's that come with Windows 8 on them. It will NEVER be my Daily OS of choice.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I have decided to keep out of the "Why or Why Not" discussions of Win 8. The 2 sides are very polarized and dug in. I will continue posts for directions on the "How do I do this discussions, but not the other. It just seems to be a loosing battle, no matter which side your are on.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I was very skeptical about acceptance of Windows 8 as well but I just built a new system for a friend. He had a legal copy of XP, so I installed it and then installed Windows 8 RP over the top counting on the fact that the $40 upgrade will then work. I gave him a few keyboard shortcuts and installed Windows Classic Shell and I haven't had any other questions from him. He is a little more technical savvy than most people but hardly a Windows expert. He did have an issue getting sound to work but he was able to fix it himself.

I think Classic shell helps tremendously. I think Microsoft will be making a big mistake if they disable its operation in the released version and I think it points out they made a mistake in removing the start button. Now if I could only find a way to disable the hot spots, Windows 8 could be a winner.

I still plan on leaving my main PC (desktop) with Windows 7 but will upgrade my laptop. Perhaps if a killer Modern UI (oops, almost said Metro) app comes out, I will upgrade the desktop as well but it is plenty fast enough with Windows 7 and I don't see anything in Windows 8 worth spending another$40 now.

Jerry

Thanks
    I'm still saying Win 8 UI until a decision is made by MS. Someone stated (I wish I could remember who) that a friend in the know tells him (3rd party info) that Classic Shell continues to work in Win 8 RTM which I would assume means it will work in Win 8 Pro.

I am not holding my breath waiting because it's still 2 months away, but that would be good news.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-13 at 15:35.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't hold your breath, Ted. Just breathe a little easier. Classic Shell works in Windows 8 Pro according to my source also.

Rich

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Take the time to LEARN how to use your computer. Google works just fine last I checked.
    Plenty of content on YouTube in terms of Windows 8 tutorials and such.
    The whole industry just can't stop because you have people with absolutely no ambition and motivation to learn anything new.
    Now where have I heard pretty much those exact same words? Oh yeah the Linux guys.

Well you can see how well it's worked to establish Linux as the market leader.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a BIG question...as a Q public and member of the herd of the unwashed... what is metro and what is Aero

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MQG1023 View Post
    I have a BIG question...as a Q public and member of the herd of the unwashed... what is metro and what is Aero
    Metro is a set of design principles used in various Microsoft software products. It started with the Zune HD music player. It spread to other products and finally to Windows. Aero is a visual theme introduced in Windows Vista and continued in Windows 7. It is being abandoned in Windows 8.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Please, don't misunderstand, Folks... Classic Shell is not a necessity, is not a 'must have' that must be added on to Windows8. It is an optional thing, not an imperative thing.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast