Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Where is my hard drive space going?

Running Windows 7 SP1 from a ssd. Systyem was ported onto this ssd about 6 weeks ago. The boot drive holds only Win 7 & applications; when freshly installed it was around 59 GB total. Now it is close to 79 GB. Since the initial port I have not installed any other apps. All data is stored on other drives.
    System is clean acc to Malwarebytes & Norton Internet Security (both have up-to-date virus/whatever signature files).
    I have flushed out all the Temp directories I can find; this accounts for only a few hundred MB not the additional ~20 GB that has been consumed. I have run CCleaner & Disk Cleanup but again, these remove tens of MB, not GB. Backups are to external drives.

What is continually taking all the space; furthermore, why is it continually increasing? What can I safely delete?

Thanks

Thanks
    You could try using Treesize to see what is currently taking up the disk space.

Maybe something will stand out?

One other thing to look at is how much disk space system restore is using.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked the size of updates and checked the actual TEMP folders and cache locations. File cleaners don't always clean everything. With something like CCLeaner, you can point to a specific folder such as WINDOWS\TEMP and clean them directly. However, even CCLeaner will miss locations.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Duncan,

Just a guess, but some of the space may be taken up by an enlarging Windows side-by-side folder (winsxs) - but DON'T MESS WIF IT!!! - it's really there to protect your system's operation and should NOT be tampered with. I think even bbearen, the king of tamperers, would agree with me on this one.

Zig

Thanks
    If you have Hibernate enabled then you will have a large hiberfil.sys file of several Gb's in size. Just disabling Hibernation will delete this file.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be restore points made by system restore. You can selectively delete these except the most recent with Ccleaner. Tools button then System restore. Once gone however you cannot get them back so do so wisely.

Thanks
    Rather than guessing, use Treesize or a similar app as Browni suggested:
    http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Jerry

;

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Duncan,

Just a guess, but some of the space may be taken up by an enlarging Windows side-by-side folder (winsxs) - but DON'T MESS WIF IT!!! - it's really there to protect your system's operation and should NOT be tampered with. I think even bbearen, the king of tamperers, would agree with me on this one.

Zig
    King of tamperers?

I have done a fair bit of tampering with WinSxS, I'll admit, but found nothing significant to be gained from it, so it resides comfortably in the Windows folder, where it originated.

That being said, there is a legitimate and safe (make a drive image beforehand, by all means) method of trimming WinSxS IF one has upgraded an original version of Windows 7 with Service Pack 1. That is to say, you started off with Windows 7, and later installed Service Pack 1. In such a case, there are some SP1 uninstall files that can be safely removed from the WinSxS folder.

On the other hand, if you purchased a PC preloaded with, or Windows 7 SP1, those files are not there, and there's nothing to gain. (There's not a lot to gain in removing the uninstall files from the Service Pack, for that matter).

If, however, your original installation was Windows 7, and you later downloaded and installed Service Pack 1 (or had it installed through Windows Update), you can clean out a few files by opening an Administrators group Command Prompt (even if you're logged onto an Administrators group account, you still need to right-click the Command Prompt shortcut and select "Run as administrator" to get an elevated Command Prompt).

In the elevated Command Prompt, (only if you have a current drive image) type the following command:

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

Note the spaces. This will remove the backup files necessary for uninstalling Service Pack 1. If you've been running Service Pack 1 since it was first available, you probably don't have any intention of uninstalling it.

Other than that, zig's advice is spot-on. My current WinSxS folder is 5.69 GB in size. Other's may be larger or smaller, but whatever size it is, that's the size it is supposed to be for your installation of Windows 7 (other than the SP1 uninstall files, if they exist).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Another free alternative drive view tool called Space Sniffer, it's a portable application that does not require an install.