Thread: 32-bit vs 64

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

32-bit vs 64

Windows 7 32-bit is still handy on an underpowered computer, and will run at least some older software. I would be interested to hear of any comparisons between 32 and 64-bit in the case of Windows 8.

While we're at it, I'd be interested to learn if there is any real consensus on the realistic resources required to run either. I'd hate to see a repetition of the starry-eyed notion of what resources it would require Vista to run, and I daresay Microsoft would too.

Thanks
    I believe you will see almost the same comparisons between 32 Bit and 64 Bit Win 8 as with Win 7. One thing that has been found is that some older apps (16 Bit) that did not run on 32 Bit Win 7 do run on 32 Bit Win 8 (DrWho has a 16 Bit game that works quite nicely on 32 Bit Win 8, but will not run on 64 Bit Win 8 or on Win 7 at all).

Resources do seem lower for the 64 Bit version of Win 8 than for Win 7. In my PC (dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 RP) when I return to Win 7 (usually just for updates) I find myself wishing things would just speed up a little. "Please, do something". I have only used 64 Bit Win 8 RP to date so I cannot talk about the 32 Bit version.

So, in my PC, on a very unscientific test, Win 8 definitely feels quicker. Apps open quicker and seem to respond faster.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't done any real comparisons between the two. Its difficult to do without setting up dual boot machines and then using a stop watch to time everything you are doing, recording it on paper, then comparing the results. Very painful. I will say that I have a few 64 bit apps running on Win 7 64 with a CoreDuo processor. My heavier 32 bit photo processing apps run good, but the 64 bit apps never even break a sweat. In other words the fan on my laptop doesn't kick in when running 64 bit apps. I demoed Adobe Lightroom and it flew on machine. Very unscientific, but I'm afraid that's may be the best you'll be able to get from most of us.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck, have you been able to try the same apps on Win 8? I'm wondering if your heavy duty apps feel quicker on Win 8 the way mine do.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy