Thanks

Great Time for Backups

I just installed all the Win 7 and Win 8 RP monthly Patch Tuesday updates. I also went through fileHippo.com and checked for updates. I then did a complete cleanup of both partitions and defragged both partitions.

This is a great time to create your new Images. Keeping your Images Up To Date makes it far quicker to restore your HD when something bad happens. Remember that after creating your Image, Restore the Image. This is truly the only way to verify the Image will work when you really need it, like when your PC will not boot! It also is a great way to ensure your HD is defragged very well as the Restoration process formats the partition as the first step in the restoration.

Backup! Backup! Backup!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Funny thing happened to me recently, well not too funny at the time, extremely irritating is more like it...

I went to restore an image I had made a few weeks previously and it would just freeze after booting with my restore disk and getting everything finalized.
    I must have tried a half dozen time throughout most of the night with two different types of boot disks I made specifically for the purpose of image restorations.
    I know my boot disks are good because I've tested them many times in the past, and I've always had the habbit of using them when I need or want to do
    a restore.

Finally I was able to get the restore to run and it took a rediculous two hrs, but I had to then use the Windows 7 boot disk to do a boot repair.[??]

It turned out that the internal drive where I had my images stored was on the verge of failure, (raw read error rate)
    The drive in question is still running as of this writing, but I have since moved my images elsewhere. No previous warnings or flags with HD Monitor.
    I've since dumped HD Monitor for HD Sentinel, which flagged it immediatly.

I guess the moral here is to ensure the drive or drives you have your images stored on are all in good working order.
    I've since placed an order for a few more drives, Seagate this time. I think I'll give Western Digital a pass this time around.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2012-08-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Funny thing happened to me recently, well not too funny at the time, extremely irritating is more like it...

I went to restore an image I had made a few weeks previously and it would just freeze after booting with my restore disk and getting everything finalized.
    I must have tried a half dozen time throughout most of the night with two different types of boot disks I made specifically for the purpose of image restorations.
    I know my boot disks are good because I've tested them many times in the past, and I've always had the habbit of using them when I need or want to do
    a restore.

Finally I was able to get the restore to run and it took a rediculous two hrs, but I had to then use the Windows 7 boot disk to do a boot repair.[??]

It turned out that the internal drive where I had my images stored was on the verge of failure, (raw read error rate)
    The drive in question is still running as of this writing, but I have since moved my images elsewhere. No previous warnings or flags with HD Monitor.

I guess the moral here is to ensure the drive or drives you have your images stored on are all in good working order.
    I've since placed an order for a few more drives, Seagate this time. I think I'll give Western Digital a pass this time around.
    Not a good experience for you, but certainly something we can all learn from.
    I use two external drives and rotate the backups between them, so if something goes wrong with one of the drives, there is always an older backup, in another drive.

Thanks
    It was almost as arduous as doing a clean install and I had no idea the drive in question was failing.
    It stumped me.

Thanks
    Sorry for your trouble Clint. I also use an Ext. USB drive. I will be purchasing a second at some point in time to do as Rui does. I have restored many times from my Images, so having the problem you did would be agonizing.

Not having the Images at all would even be worse. At this stage in the game, I would hate to have to start from scratch. The point is folks that Imaging will save your bacon at some point in time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It was almost as arduous as doing a clean install and I had no idea the drive in question was failing.
    It stumped me.
    Hopefully that's all that it was and you will have no lasting consequences.
    A couple years ago, my previous drive was corrupting files without me noticing. It eventually failed and I had images to restore it, but I still find a source file corrupted, from time to time.

Thanks
    Most users have their own tried & tested method of doing a back-up. I use Acronis and only do 'One Click' back-ups.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using the newest version of Macrium Reflect Free, recently and so far I like it very much. Do you have an updated version of a Tutorial?

Thanks
    I do not believe so. The member who originally posted the Macrium Reflect Instructions is not here often anymore, sorry. I do not use Macrium Reflect. I use Acronis TIH.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-17 at 05:46.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-08-17)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

+1 on Hard Disk Sentinel.
    I now have three computers using SSD as the boot drive. I rely on HD Sentinel to know the health of those SSDs as well as the other drives with most of my data.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)