Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A bountiful summer crop of Patch Tuesday updates

PATCH WATCH

A bountiful summer crop of Patch Tuesday updates

By Susan Bradley

It's the dog days of patching; August's Patch Tuesday includes several critical updates for Windows XP and Windows 7.
    Along with the usual suspects — Internet Explorer, for example — we're adding patches to protect ourselves from malicious RTF files.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/a-bountiful-summer-crop-of-patch-tuesday-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-16 at 19:31.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was offered KB2687324, which is apparently:

A while ago Susan suggested installing Fixit 50908 for Office 2003 and 2007 users until a patch became available. Is KB2687324 the patch we've been waiting for? Do we have to remove the Fixit before installing the patch?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just wrote to the Editor:
    "Dear Sir/Madam

I really appreciate the work that SUSAN BRADLEY puts into her column, particularly her advice about installing MS patches.

However, when I run Windows Update, and obtain the list of recommended and optional patches, I am hardly ever able to correlate that list with what Susan lists in her column.

The MS list has a KB number at the end of the line in brackets, while Susan seems to use some other reference system. And she doesn’t even list her entries in numerical order.

Some advice on how to APPLY the recommendations she makes would be helpful.

Kind regards,

Peter G"

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Begging Susan Bradley

I share WillGee's problem, having extreme trouble applying Susan Bradley's valuable recommendations to Window Update's limited screen. Microsoft allows one to sort by name or size. Period. Unfortunately, Susan does not use Microsoft's exact name to identify a patch, making correlation very difficult. I just end up feeling stupid, and guessing that some smarter folks out there have found ways to use these data without taking hours to do it. What about it folks? Am I missing some obvious solution to this problem?

Barring some clever solution, it seems to me that somebody needs to change their list ordering schema, Microsoft or Susan Bradley. Microsoft's ordering schema is obviously pretty brainless, but I suspect that our chances to get them to change to a more useful ordering (like sort by KB number) is about zero. It would be enormously helpful if we could persuade Susan Bradly to group and order her recommendations the way Microsoft groups and orders their update blizzard, so her valuable recommendations could be implemented by stymied folks like me, and not just looked at. It seems like a real shame that her very valuable data is so difficult for slow folks like me to actually apply. Is anyone else in this boat with me? So, what say folks? Who wants to start a begging campaign?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When in doubt, check the associated MS Security Bulletin to see if a KB article got missed in Susan's summary. My impression is that the older the software version you're using, the more likely it is that you should be doing this.

Some of the issues people are mentioning about KB numbers for patches in the column not matching what Microsoft Update offers on a specific machine may have to do with the different versions of Windows, MS Office, and other MS software that are present on a specific machine. I've noticed that Susan usually also provides the MS Security Bulletin number, which often will include a list (sometimes lengthy) of KB numbers for a single root issue. Each KB number may be specific to a particular version of software. For example, the article on the August 14, 2012 patch cycle for MS12-057 mentions 3 KBs; MU offered me one (KB2596754 for MSO 2007 SP3) that wasn't in the article.

Now to echo "user ht" above - how about the patch to address the XML 5.0 Core Services issue that Fixit 50908 temporarily takes care of? I've been offered KB2596856, on MS Security Bulletin MS12-043:

Description of the security update for XML Core Services 5.0 when it is installed together with Office 2007, Office Compatibility Pack, Office Word Viewer, Expression Web, or Expression Web 2: August 14, 2012

The bulletin doesn't appear to give any direction about the Fixit. 50909 is the Fixit disabler, and can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719615.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To anyone reading this: Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or help.

Ms. Bradley:

In the 16 August 2012 Windows Secrets issue, your Patch Watch column was --- as usual --- extremely useful. But there are some things that I do not understand.

The reason for my confusions may be that I am a minority user of Microsoft's software: I am using WinXPsp3, but I don't use Microsoft Office. (Instead, I am a long-standing user of WordPerfect.) But I do have Office 2007 and 2003 viewers for MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. (To complete the record, my browser and email are Mozilla-SeaMonkey, but I don't think that applies to the issues I'm about to describe.)

I keep Automatic Updates turned off, because I don't want to install anything without first getting your opinion about it. (I do turn on Automatic Updates when I am about to run Microsoft Update, because my experience is that MS Update won't work unless Automatic Updates is on.)

My issues and questions:

1) When I ran Microsoft Update on Tuesday 21 August, I downloaded and installed two items not mentioned in your 16 August message:
    KB2596856 for Office 7, Description at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2596856
    and
    KB2687324 for Office 3, Description at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687324
    Both were released on 14 August. So why didn't your 16 August column include them?

Is my setup simply too ancient? If so, I have no hard feelings. Lines have to be drawn somewhere.

Also, a related mystery is that each of these items is a security update for XML Core Services 5.0, and in my Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs list, today the only XML I can find is MSXML6sp2. I deleted MSXML 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x long ago --- at least, I thought I had done so. So why did MS Update think I needed to install these two items? (I did install them, because although you hadn't recommended them, on the other hand neither your 26 July nor your 16 August Patch-Watch charts listed them, so I decided that neither one had problems you knew about.)

2) I don't really understand Problem-Patch Charts. The introductory paragraph says that "This table provides the status of problem patches reported in previous Patch Watch columns." (My emphasis.)
    And yet eight of the 16 August column's install recommendations (plus links to two long lists, under 2720573 and 2731879) were included in the 16 August Patch-Chart install section.
    On the other hand, some of the column's install recommendations were NOT in the 16 August Patch-Chart: 983812, 983813, 2687323, 2687441, 2597986; and 2553260, 2589322, 2596615.

So what does "previous Patch Watch columns" mean? That is, what determines which updates listed and discussed in the column will be listed in the same issue's Problem Patch Chart?

3) You generally don't recommend installing Root-certificate updates. In a previous column you explained your reasons, but unfortunately I didn't save that information. Since I use MSIE only for updates, I probably don't need those certificates, but just for background, I'd like to know why MSIE users might want them.

I say again: To anyone reading this, thanks for any comments, suggestions, or help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2012-08-24 at 01:02. Reason: I had written "nine" instead of the correct "eight".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RNFolsom View Post
    2) I don't really understand Problem-Patch Charts.
    No one except Susan does (and I'm not too sure about that either).

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From: bmassico@yahoo.com (logged in as bmassico@yahoo.com)Name: William Massicotte

Date: 08/20/2012
    From IP Address: 64.85.212.6

Subject: 08/15/12 updates
    Has anyone experienced the loss of Google Chrome after the last set of
    updates were installed?
    Chrome was deleted from my laptop and I had to re-install after the updates!
    This morning, again it disappeared.
    Of course, I suspect MS for this misbehavior!
    They don't like competition and IE is not my default browser!
    thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob Spafford:

After downloading Windows Updates since 1995 (when Windows 95 came out and I finally abandoned MS-DOS), I have never figured out a pattern for the sequence of Microsoft's recommended updates (aka patches), before I had "reviewed" them and installed them. To me the initial sequence has always appeared to be random.

If I'm right, then Ms. Bradley wouldn't be able to adjust her sequence to Microsoft's. Forecasting a set of randomly sequenced numbers is not possible, unless one knows the mathematical computing-code structure that created the sequence (on a computer, random numbers aren't really random).

My own, crude, solution is to print out Ms. Bradley's column before running Windows Update (or Microsoft Update, which is what I am now using, because I have read that it's more likely to find needed updates for a wider selection of Microsoft software). Then on my print of Ms. Bradley's column, for each update I can write the sequence number of the update that MS has listed on my computer's screen. I write the number with bright red or green ink.

On several occasions when Microsoft gave me an unusually long list of updates, I saved the list, and then Xed-out of Internet Explorer so I had time to think about which updates I wanted to install. But first I had to save Microsoft's list from the screen.
    To do that, I could select (highlight) the list, and then paste it into the Windows Clipboard, and then paste it into some software such as Notepad. (If I just left it on the Windows Clipboard, the next reboot would lose it.)
    But in my case, I would use Thornsoft's Clipmate, which is a Windows Clipboard add-on. (If you're not using Clipmate, you're working too hard. That's from me, not Thornsoft. I have no financial interest in the company; I think it's a one-man operation. You can find out more about it with a Google search for Thornsoft Clipmate, or probably even just Thornsoft or Clipmate. It's not very expensive, and it has saved me many hours of work. As I write this message, I periodically do a Ctrl+A to select all of it, and then I do a Ctrl+C to save it into Clipmate. Then if something here went wrong before I've finished this message, I wouldn't need to start all over again: I just would use Ctrl+V to put my last version into this window.)
    After I selected (highlighted) Microsoft's list of recommended updates, using Ctrl+C would save it into Clipmate.

Of course, having Xed-out of Internet Explorer, and decided which updates I wanted to install, I would again use Internet Explorer to again run Windows Update (or MS Update). My recollection is that when I ran Windows or MS Update again, the new initial list of updates would have the same sequence that MS used for my first run of Windows or MS Update. If my recollection is right, once MS has selected an apparently random sequence for the month's updates, it keeps re-using that sequence.

I hope this helps a bit.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

P.S. I like to keep orderly lists of each month's updates. After downloading and installing the updates (but before rebooting), I do not follow Microsoft's instruction to restart (aka reboot) the computer. Instead, I close the window (there's a button to do that), and I see a list of the installed updates. I then could select (highlight) that list and copy it into the Windows clipboard and then into Notepad.
    What I actually do, after selecting (highlighting) the list, is copy the list into Clipmate. I could do that either as text or as an image.
    In any case, after saving the list of installed updates, not until then do I reboot the computer.
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2012-08-24 at 00:18.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mr. Gee:

I think that you shouldn't expect too much correlation between Ms. Bradley's column's list of updates, and the list of updates that Windows Update (or Microsoft Update) gives to you, or to any of us who read and use her column. Her list of updates includes Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 (and soon, Windows 8) --- and each of those comes in several versions. Consequently, her list of updates is inevitably much longer than the list that Microsoft recommends for a single computer.

[And I can't remember her ever mentioning having an assistant, to help her with her very large task; I doubt that she has one.]

For example (not counting the Malicious Software Removal tool), in Ms. Bradley's column of 16 August I count 16 recommendations. (I am pretty sure that's a coincidence. <grin>)
    For my own WinXPsp3 computer, Microsoft Update recommended only 8 updates (two of which were not in Ms. Bradley's column, as I note in my post #6 in this thread; see also my post #9 to Bob Spafford).

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2012-08-24 at 07:06.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just got an 'Important Update' which was an update for Skype - I know M$ now own Skype, but I fail to see how such an update is important in the context of the operating system.
    If it is, I would expect to have to update like any other software, such as Flash or Real Player, not as if it were an operating system problem.

M$ are really going too far.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Susan.
    I keep my old spare/test pc patched and up to date. It has an older single intel processor box running a couple of gigs of ram & Vipre firwall/antivirus XP.Pro_SP3.
    For the last couple of weeks when I have started it, it has refused to properly install the following updates, which you mentioned in your article should be installed.
    kb2698635
    kb2719985
    kb2655992
    kb2718523
    kb2691442

I've tried disabling Vipre, even holding my breath. Other patches & the Malicious Software removal tool install ok.
    What can you suggest?
    Kind regards,
    DAve
    dsimp.com
    Last edited by dave7072; 2012-08-29 at 21:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks

MSXML 4.0 installation issue

Secunia PSI is telling me to update MSXML 4.0 and I dug around to find that I need KB2721691. Reviewing installed updates (which are, as previously observed, not in any useful order) I seem not to have it, nor am I offered it. OK, go to the MS page, download it and try to run it. Now I am stymied by the error in the attached image.

Can anyone help me install this beast? It's really bugging me to be at 99%! TIA
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by whytyger; 2012-09-08 at 00:21. Reason: image deleted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whytyger View Post
    Now I am stymied by the error in the attached image.

Can anyone help me install this beast? It's really bugging me to be at 99%! TIA
    Restart explorer: "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location exists and is writable." error when attempting to uninstall an application

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Naturally I was using FF, forgetting that M$ requires IE to do anything useful on their site. Fired up IE for the first time in who knows how long, ran download, selected run...same error message. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast