5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Readers ask many questions about Soluto

LANGALIST PLUS

Readers ask many questions about Soluto

By Fred Langa

A recent mention of Soluto's utility (of the same name), which can semi-automatically reduce PC startup times, brought a flood of reader mail. Here are some commonly asked questions and comments about the app, with my responses.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/readers-ask-many-questions-about-soluto/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Frankly, I was not impressed with Soluto. I installed it on four of my computers. It didn't appreciably speed the startup on any of them, and I had to uninstall it from the Windows XP machine to use that computer. Dumped it from the others. My favorite is WinPatrol, which allows me to manually (and permanently) optimize computer startups.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had been using Soluto on a few PC's but it became both unreliable and dangerous. At the end, it had its last revenge as I removed it from one PC removing some items permanently from my startup. Great idea, not so great execution.

Thanks
    Soluto looks good from a novices stand point as a quickie fix for a lengthy boot time.
    But for those who have been involved with computers for a long time can do much better than that.

Not to berate Fred, but it is what it is...a band aid solution.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-08-16 at 23:41.

Thanks
    Soluto Spyware
    After using the Windows Uninstall to remove Soluto and though not required did a shutdown and restart, found 146 registry entries and the entire 17,559,809 bytes of the Soluto Program Data File still in my Windows 7 Home Premium system. Now I need Fred House Call Langa to Uninstall his recommendation ??

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Soluto nice idea but. Prefer Sysinternals autoruns

I tried Soluto after it was first mentioned in WS. At first I thought that the information and adjustments would be useful, but the Soluto recommendations were too aggressive and would have disabled some of the utilities that I have come to rely on. Tweaking it was time consuming and really did little to shave my login time. I also did not like the fact that it would roll back the changes if I went through the uninstall procedure. At the time it did not answer the question of what would happen if I installed other software after Soluto and then uninstalled Soluto. So I uninstalled it. I prefer to use Microsoft’s Sysinternals autoruns to monitor autoloads and make adjustments.

Thanks
    FWIW, my only two tools for managing Startups in Windows 7 and Windows XP are msconfig and CCleaner. Those and Google Search to determine what's safe to disable. I also monitor each and every software install and update (including after Patch Tuesday) to see if anything new has shown up in Startups or Add/Remove Programs. I guess not many people do that.

Autoruns is an excellent tool for finding Startups and shutting them down, but for most users it shows way too many results, and does not warn about the ones you really need for your system to boot and run properly.

It's not enough (especially with laptops) to know what processes are Windows system Processes. You also need to know which processes are OEM and must run for your computer to work as it was designed.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Very true, OEM's can often be alot harder to identify.
    A google search will always yeild something usefull to act on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Very true, OEM's can often be alot harder to identify.
    A google search will always yeild something usefull to act on.
    There are databases which identify OEMs as well as Microsoft necessities, and rate which ones can be safely turned off and which ones to definitely keep. This one from PACS is particularly useful.

They also link to the Uniblue Process Library and the library at PC Pitstop, both of which are also useful.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-08-20 at 14:22.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One drawback not mentioned by Fred, is that Soluto only works in one Administrator account.
    It does not support Standard multiple user accounts as mentioned in its FAQ:
    https://support.soluto.com/entries/2...counts-on-a-pc

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have uninstalled Soluto as of yesterday. When I first used Soluto several month ago I thought it was pretty great. It had a straightforward operation and, although it did not have recommendations on every single start-up item, it effectively identified and made recommendations to delay or disable many programs. Then Soluto tinkered with its interface (more web-based), then they added features (help a friend, update your programs), and I didn't see the database was growing very much (but some). I gave up when it repeatedly incorrectly identified the Firefox version and got stuck trying to update it. I think, but cannot be certain, that it was also actually interfering and/or slowing down start-up. Easier to use than Autoruns, yes, but Autoruns remains my favorite.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Soluto part of the problem. System infestation.

I was surprised to find Soluto on my system and in my error logs even after uninstalling it a long time ago.

It was impossible to fully uninstall Soluto using their own uninstaller even with the assistance of Revo Uninstaller Pro (Soluto stated that a system reboot was required which effectively cancelled Revo Uninstaller's uninstall procedure)

Soluto kept appearing in the Windows error report after uninstalling:

"Error: ) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
    Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    Soluto"

There were Soluto files left behind after the uninstall which seemed to be invisible even though Locate32 had listed them.

I had to delete then through Locate32 because they did not show up in Windows Explorer. Unusually Locate32 could not open the folders in which Soluto was installed

Soluto installed files in the sacred Windows directory which seems like bad practice:
    C://Windows/assembly/NativeImages....

It has always bothered me that seeing Soluto's analysis of my system involves accessing a Soluto.com webpage contain my system info on their server. Why do they need my data and why do I have to visit their website?

I wonder if Soluto is yet another way to data mine private information from computers.

One thing is for sure that aside for a few insights, Soluto did not improve my boot speeds but instead it seemed to slow down start up times. Soluto seems to be part of the problem not the solution. I wonder if it is getting bad press now and if the journalists that thought it was a good idea have retracted their initial reviews?

Soluto caused me more problems that it promised to solve and I still am unsure if my system is clean after uninstalling it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    188 references to Soluto were found in the registry after uninstalling.
    CCleaner had not detected them. Had to manually search and delete.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had tried Soluto; it made a mess of every system I put it on. Huge effort to clean up.