5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exploring Windows' Administrative Tools: Part 3

TOP STORY

Exploring Windows' Administrative Tools: Part 3

By Fred Langa

When the need arises to check system RAM, try the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool that comes with Vista and Windows 7 — and is a free download for XP.

This app thoroughly exercises your system's random-access memory, uncovering problems that can cause crashes, hangs, and other errors.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/exploring-windows-administrative-tools-part-3/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just went through an upgrade to Win 7 on an old P4 computer. It failed each time indicating a faulty file. I suspected RAM as I had experienced ( what I thought) were memory problems on this computer before. After swapping various modules and slots I decided to look elsewhere. The problem was resolved by replacing the power supply!!

Terry

Thanks
    Ram and PS seem to be the 2 most replaced items on PC. PS go bad because as we upgrade parts of our PC's we tend to put extra power demands on them. Plus over time grime tends to accumulate and cause overheating. Heat is the big killer in PC's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, I followed your directions, but my Vista Home Premium does NOT follow your directions. There is not Systems & Maint in the Control Panel, there is Administrative Tools, but NO Windows Memory Diagnostic Advise. Thanks. Bill Dorner

wjdorner@gmail.com

Thanks
    Just try clicking the Start Orb and type memory. Windows Memory Diagnostic should be the first item in the search results.
    Hit enter or double click on it.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Memory Diagnostics Tool

Thanks typing in Memory got me to the Memory Diagnostics Tool. Much appreciated. Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a link to a wikipedia article included in this article (Where "cosmic rays can affect RAM), but it leads to a page which was either deleted or doesn't exist. I'd love to be abel to reference this to my customers with "strange problems" in their systems.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roberthaz View Post
    There is a link to a wikipedia article included in this article (Where "cosmic rays can affect RAM), but it leads to a page which was either deleted or doesn't exist. I'd love to be abel to reference this to my customers with "strange problems" in their systems.
    The wikipedia link works for me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic...and_correction

Bruce

Thanks
    Every once in a while something happens, intermittently, that you just can't explain. Now I know it's the aliens trying to beam down messages. Seriously though, before replacing your Ram, unless you are increasing Ram or for some other reason, try reseating all the sticks, or perhaps swapping them. You can sometimes even clean the contacts with a Q-tip and denatured alcohol.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No problems in Microsoft and other memory tests , but full POST found some

I was having some mysterious problems that I thought might be due to defective memory. Neither Microsoft’s memory tool (including the extended tests) nor the vendor’s memory tester and another tester found any problems over a multi-month period. Finally decided to enable the full memory test of the BIOS POST. That found a problem in one of the 1GB OEM boards. (System configuration was two 1 GB OEM boards, and two 1 GB aftermarket boards.) Within a very short time the same symptoms cropped up, and again Microsoft’s tool did not find anything, but the BIOS POST found the other OEM board was failing. Now down to the original 2GB memory configuration, but with aftermarket boards instead of the OEM boards, and haven’t experienced any memory related problems including POST failures. (I periodically enable full POST specifically to see if there are any new memory problems, and then disable it.)

After finding the problems I decided that I should not trust the system backups that have been made since before the original problems appeared, and after backing up the “user” files (Outlook, ITunes, Pictures…) from the system disk, did a restore from an early “preconfigured” backup, updated primary internet security application, restored updated “user” files, installed Microsoft updates and updated applications, updated and ran several virus checkers, and backed this up as my next “preconfigured” backup stored on a 2TB USB drive and to DVDs. Note: I don’t use the documents and related users folders for anything that I want to possibly keep (except for Outlook, ITunes, Pictures). Instead these files are stored in a “family” directory tree in another partition that is backed up frequently (along with the selected directories from the system partition) to two removable media: a 2TB USB drive, and a flash drive that I carry with me; important irreplaceable files are copied to the cloud; less often image backups to the 2TB drive; and occasionally selected DVD backups.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lelandhamilton For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2012-08-18)