Thanks

An Article By Paul Thurrott

Start: The Windows 8 Era Begins

I thought I'd throw an article in here from Paul Thurrott since I hadn't seen one from him here recently, a guy for whom you all know will have
    the skinny on anything Microsoft, and usually trust as being objective.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Great article, Clint .

I actually like a few statements very much:

- "What these people seem to be forgetting, however, is that if you look just at the improvements Microsoft has added to the desktop side of Windows 8, you’ll discover that Windows 8 is a bigger improvement over Windows 7 than was that OS over Vista. Mull that one over for a second, then drop your preconceptions and misguided biases. It’s true."

- "
    You can view that decision negatively—look, Microsoft is jamming something we don’t want down our throats—or positively: Hey, look at this awesome new stuff we get for absolutely free as part of Windows 8. And if you don’t want to use Metro style apps for some reason, just don’t. The desktop works just as well as before. Better, actually."

-"
    I can’t wait. But in the meantime, I need to run Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, and other desktop applications. I need to run them side by side, and to multitask more efficiently than is currently possible in Metro. These and other shortcomings will be addressed, and more quickly than in Windows 9 three years from now, according to my sources. So Windows 8, this glorious mess, is also—more than any previous Windows version—a slice in time, a temporary thing that will only get better as time marches on."

You know, somehow reading this reminded me of the Monty Pithon guy singing in the Olympics closing ceremony .- " always look at the bright side of life". Windows 8 is out, better live with it, it's coming to stay

Thanks
    Paul has stated, perhaps more eloquently than me, most of the exact same stuff I have been saying for the last 2 and half months. Win 8 works fabulously on the Desktop UI, at least on my system. Thank you Paul for writing what many of us have been saying for a while now!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Although I haven't tried the OS, I don't have much ambition to test a beta OS, but from all the serious articles I've been reading I think it'll
    end up being a huge success. Paul's usually a pretty good judge of these things too.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    This actually seems a bit of a change of heart, from Paul. I have heard some of his Windows Weekly podcasts, where this dual nature of Windows was criticized, never in very harsh terms, but criticized, nonetheless. He seems to finally have come to the realization that this is actually offering the best desktop ever, with a interface that will be gradually adopted, Metro... oops, sorry Modern, or whatever it will be called. I agree that it would be hard for Microsoft to do it in any other way, while actually reaching hundreds of millions of users.

I think Microsoft did a few things very well, including the upgrade price .