New Lounger
    Thanks

Internet activity monitor on a program by program basis

I have always wanted to know which programs are accessing the internet and despite having a look for something like this occasionally, I've never found anything that does what I want. What I'm basically looking for is some kind of widget type item that shows which items have an open connection, how much they have sent and received and a current activity monitor showing which are actively receiving or sending at that time. Something like the "What's Running" network connections pane (but in widget form) is quite close. Most firewalls will probably have a pane that looks similar, but it's not compact or designed to be on display all the time.

Failing that, I would settle for something that pops up (maybe out of the system tray) showing which program is currently sending and receiving.

I currently use Comodo personal firewall on Windows 7 and it gives overall activity by flashing the tray icon (like most firewalls) but won't give me any more detail until I open the program up.

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Thanks
    Don't know if thsi is of any help but the Network tab of Windows 7's Resource Monitor lists the TCP Connections and Listening ports. Right click on the headings bar under TCP connections to add the send, receive, and total columns.

To open Resource Monitor, just click on the Start Orb and type Resource and then enter.

Jerry

Thanks
    Hmmm . . . what is the "Start Orb"? The start button? When I click on it, there's no place to type anything in.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artied2 View Post
    Hmmm . . . what is the "Start Orb"? The start button? When I click on it, there's no place to type anything in.
    Immediately above the Start button, there is a search box. That's where you should type Jerry's suggestion.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldx00 View Post
    I have always wanted to know which programs are accessing the internet and despite having a look for something like this occasionally, I've never found anything that does what I want.

Any recommendations gratefully received!
    ldx00,

Hello... I'm not quite sure that this is what you're looking for ..It's one i use occasionally .. TCP View Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-08-18 at 13:43.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    In Windows 7, if you type immediately after clicking the start orb, you activate Windows search. Just click on the Start orb and type as I suggested.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. There seem to be a lot of ways to see this information, but none that pop out at you with notifications, or are designed to be small and permanently on show. It's a pity. It's something I think would be quite useful. Sysinternals though!! I think they were bought by Microsoft, but that was a blast from the past! They did some great tools. Anyway, I'm rambling now, thanks again for the suggestions. I'll keep looking!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Most 3rd party firewalls can be configured to notify you when a program tries to access the internet, with a popup (that will last a few seconds) and then you can check history. I use Online Armor and it can be configured like this. It has a status window that will tell you what programs are connected to where and how much data they have uploaded and downloaded. Some features can only be available on the paid version (which I use).