Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lounge VIP
    Thanks

First impressions

After a storm induced network hiccup last night I restarted the download using the Akamai Download Manager through IE; it ran to completion and I burned the DVD this morning.

Installed Win 8 Pro in a spare partition on a quad core box with a 240GB SSD. It offered me an upgrade option which I was a little surprised at, but possibly because the machine is dual booted with Win7 and the previous Win8 RP (which I had removed).

I chose the Clean Install option into the now empty partition.

Installation went pretty painlessly. There was a long pause with a blue screen for a while with no disk indication, though this kind of indication is not unusual during the early stages of a Windows OS install, so I half expected something like it. After install, there was also a 30 second animated graphic showing how to move the mouse to the corner to access Start. Better than nothing, but I suspect OEM's will significantly improve on that - showing people how to use Metro etc.

The configuration and Windows account link stages were smoother than with the previous RP. In fact, I don't' recall those stages being present previously, so that's good.

Classic shell works just fine!

The hotspots are easier to find and activate (subjectively), than RP.

Login is easier - simply click on the front screen and the Windows Account Login username and password prompt appears. I knew there was a reason why a grabbed one of the new Outlook.com accounts! My Outlook.com account is not (yet) linked to my Technet account, so I can muck around with this without getting fouled up in business accounts.

The Metro mail app works ok, subject to more testing, with my Outlook.com account

As previously noted elsewhere, the defrag schedule is still enabled, but this only enables the SSD Trim function. If I go to the Tools menu on the drive, I can enter Defrag and Optimise, which allows me to optimise (Trim) the drive manually. This could still be confusing because task scheduler still refers to it as defrag (in fact it calls defrag.exe).

One thing that really impressed me was during installation, it searched for, found and installed my office wireless printer. Bear in mind this printer is connected wirelessly to the router and the PC is hard wired to the router. On Windows 7, I would have needed to run the Epson software to find the wireless printer, so this is really good. I don't recall seeing the RP do that before.

One slight hiccup, it keeps telling me that the driver for my 5 year old ATI X300 video card is not working. There was no complaint in the RP previously and I can see all the various screen resolutions I need, so maybe there is something different going on.

So far, I've not encountered the unable to close down to due disk in use message caused by the USB connected media port. That was a real pain in RP, but has not (yet?) been seen in this release.

Looks smooth and easy so far, the Classic Shell addition works very well, and with a few customisations makes it straightforward to use.

I still need to think about maybe having a second install somewhere without the ease-of-use customisations, so I can see it how my potential customers will see it, but for now it appears to run ok.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    The interface looks a little cleaner as well.

I am still using my Hotmail logon and that worked very well. I also enabled the Picture Password. I love this sign in method.

I pulled my pictures over from my data drive so I have all my desktop backgrounds set.

As Tinto states Classic Shell works well. I have chosen to Skip Metro so after a very short stop on the Win 8 UI, my PC automatically switches to the Desktop UI.

I have all my customizations (they were done in a couple of hours last night). Most of my apps were installed last night. I downloaded and installed WLM 2012 and WL Photo Gallery and WL Movie Maker.

The Internet connection was automatic. I simply had to enter my password and it was done.

I did find that Acronis TIH 2011 is incompatible (I never had this installed on RP either because I always use my Boot Disk and Image outside Windows) Perhaps I should create a couple of backup Boot Disks for Acronis.

I have been unable to get my Free Cell working the way it was before, oh well I guess I will have to find an alternative. I can get it to work, but I have been unable to pull forward my statistics (they were quite good).

The default graphics driver seems to work well for my ATI Radeon Mobility 4650HD. I do not see a need to check the beta drivers at this point.

Operationally, seems almost identical to Win 8 RP. I have not explored Wi 8 UI at all yet. Will post with more later.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Tinto and Ted, thanks for the informative early reviews.

Ted. Can you expand on TIH incompatibility? Did it refuse to install? Did you try to install it in compatibility mode? I run TIH with scheduled image backups once a week. I also like to have the ability to recover individual files from an image under windows instead of having to resort to the TIH boot disk.

Jerry

Thanks
    It seemed to install fine and gave a Complete message and required a reboot to complete, but when I tried to use it, I got an error. When MS attempted to find a solution, it reported that Acronis blocked the app as it is incompatible with this version of Windows. (Or something along those lines) The plus pack kept trying to reinstall, even after it gave a Completed notice.

As I said, I never did install Acronis in Win 8 RP either. I have it in my Win 7 installation and burned a Boot Disk from that installation. When I either create an Image or Restore an Image I do so by booting to the Boot Disk (CD) which contains the Acronis files and work from there.

I have since used Revo Uninstaller to remove Acronis from Win 8.

I may try again using Run as Administrator and/or Compatibility mode to see if this works.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-16 at 12:21.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The Windows 8 Compatibility center for Windows 8 RP reports that TIH 2011 is incompatible. It indicates the version I'm using (TIH 2010) is compatible. Strange that the older version works.

Jerry

Thanks
    I will have to try the older version. I have both. This is what I get when I installed and ran the Compatibility Troubleshooter.

Acronis2011Issues.jpg
    Acronis2011Issues2.jpg
    Acronis2011Issues3.jpg

Edit: The Acronis TIH 2010 version will not even install. I get the same warnings when trying to run Acronis TIH 2011. It appears the Win 8 Compatibility Center is incorrect. According to the screenshots, Acronis is testing compatibility with Win 8.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-16 at 13:08.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanks for the information.

Jerry

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Norton Ghost v15 appears to work, though I did have some issues with it failing to get a lock on the boot loader partition.

Ghost backup progess.JPG
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-08-16 at 13:19.

Thanks
    I guess we're in a holding period. It will still work from the Boot Disk at least. It does appear version 2012 is also being tested with Win 8. In fact I'm about to make my first Image.

I created an Image, then restored to that Image using the 2011 Boot Disk. All worked fine.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-16 at 14:30.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    ermm....I've just been poking around in the Windows Help and Support and find it refers to Windows 8 Release Preview(!)

help and support.jpg

That might be a bit embarrasing if it is going onto OEM installations right now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Thanks for the commentaries guys. Keep up the good work!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Are you using the Evaluation copy or the official, unofficial released copy? That might be a good one to report to MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Yeah, thx for the info, guys.

I have downloaded the 64 bit version, but I am deciding if should just replace my 7 x86 on the laptop by Windows 8 Pro. Probably takes some courage to do it all and I would also lose Live Mesh... Need to decide what to do. I am definitely not replacing my desktop, which is my workhorse, until I get the need to do it. Too much stuff to change, so not for now.

Thanks
    One of the reason I decided to go ahead with yet another evaluation OS was to get a better feel for the how's and where for's with Win 8. I now feel that when Win 8 Pro is released and I purchase our 2 copies, I can effectively install both copies into our 2 laptops. Practice makes perfect.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ted: That's on the full release on Technet.

Windows 8 Pro x64 Retail English-UK Edition. Filename: en-gb_windows_8_x64_dvd_915412.iso

Technet.jpg

It's the offline help and support, so straight off the ISO and not even downloading an incorrect version from the web. There's probably not much different at this stage between the RP and the RTM in terms of help and support, but a bit disconcerting - makes you wonder if anything is still configured for the RP.

system info.jpg

Anyone else seeing this?
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-08-16 at 15:09.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast