2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks

Outlook 2007 damaged/corrupted

Every so often I manage to get myself in a mess and, man, am I in one now! My Outlook 2007 is apparently corrupted to the point it is nearly unusable, very slow and unstable. I am in Maine until October and use LogMeIn Pro to remotely connect to my computer in North Carolina which has the Outlook on it. I think my problem may relate to the time when I was trying to compact the .pst file associated with one of the two profiles (my wife's) which is used. In this process (which was taking a LONG time) my LogMeIn session timed out for some reason and when I tried to connect again, my remote computer was offline. I managed to talk my daughter who lives in the area into going to the house, turning the computer off and rebooting it. There was a bunch of gobbledegook on the monitor when she got there but the computer rebooted normally and I was again able to again establish a remote connection. I am almost certain that this is the time frame when the problems with Outlook started. Outlook loads very slowly and when accessing my wife's account there is almost always a popup saying "The data file was not closed properly" which goes away after some sort of check is made. Messages can then usually be opened but with a long delay and there are problems in moving or sending email. Unfortunately this situation also affects my account in the same way.

Any help that anyone can provide to get me started in correcting this situation would certainly be most appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I'd create a new pst file for each account. Then in Outlook I'd open the old pst file for that account and use "drag and drop" from the old to the new file for everything you want to keep.

If you want to try something else before going through the time to do all that you can navigate to your Office installation folder and run SCANPST.EXE. You tell it what PST file to examine and it will scan the file and try to fix errors that it encounters.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe-

Thanks for the really prompt response! I thought about SCANPST but really don't know much about it. Does it simply try to diagnose and correct errors in the original or does it remove it and make another or what? I presume that it can be accessed from Start/Run?

Thanks
    You can find a lot of information on Scanpst and how to use it here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497

I would suggest making a copy of your original .pst file before running Scanpst to attempt to repair it.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Scanpst can make a backup before it attempts a repair.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Run the scanpst.exe tool which can be found at drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12. More information about how to run and various options can be found at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...010075831.aspx.
    If you are lucky enough this will work but sometimes the damage is severe and even scanpst.exe is not able to repair the pst file, In such situation download and install third party tool like Kernel for PST Repair and scan the pst file with its help. This will surely help you

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Marie- thanks for the info. I had never heard of that tool but may need to resort to something like that.

Now- the plot thickens! I tried to run scanpst yesterday afternoon and it aborted giving a message that a disk checking utility (chkdsk) should be run which meant that chkdsk needed to be scheduled for the next startup. I went to Start/Restart in my remote session which disconnected me, which is normal. I believe that chkdsk did run because my remote computer showed as offline for quite some time which would be normal while chkdsk was running. I started another remote session this morning and went to Event Viewer to get the chkdsk results but there was no Winlogon- Event ID 1001 to be found. At this point I am totally flummoxed but will again attempt to run scanpst again later today.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to confirm that chkdsk ran successfully yesterday and no errors were found. After rummaging around a bit in Google, I came across a reference to the Powershell utility which I had never heard of before. Those who use Event Viewer may find the following command (without the leading and ending quotes) in Powershell interesting as it will locate the last instance of chkdsk results: "get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message". BTW, this does not return a Winlogon application but Wininit which gives the same results. I find this is a whole lot simpler than searching around in Event Viewer.

I was able to run scanpst today and it ran through all 8 phases but did not appear to find much of anything unusual. However, when I attempted to do the repair routine I ended up with the infamous "not responding" message, so that was another dead end. I am unsure how to proceed at this point.

Again, any additional help would be most appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Then I'd do what I suggested in the first part of post #2.

Joe

Thanks
    Alternatively, you could set up a new profile in Control Panel > Mail and set Outlook to open with the new Profile. This will create a new .pst file. You can then import your old Email messages and Contacts from your old .pst file into the new one.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found that I was wrong (imagine that!) when I reported in Post #8 that chkdsk had completed successfully with no errors found. In fact, multiple errors were found and the routine did NOT even complete but abended after many, many read errors. I have since run chkdsk again, it found quite a few sector and other errors, repaired them and this time it WAS successful. I also ran a Perfect Disk 10 defrag and file consolidation and ran a System Mechanic Pro scan. I then ran scanpst.exe and repair again several times. Long story short- my Outlook is now back running properly. Go figure!

Thanks to all who responded, it was much appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    WOW!!! You're lucky. Glad you got it resolved. You should run disk diagnostic tools ASAP. You may have a drive that is about to fail.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A small warning about SCANPST. It does work usually to repair corrupt files, but it will also report corruption even in a healthy file, so don't rely on a second pass of Scanpst to 'prove' your file now clean. This is a known fault with Scanpst
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond