Thread: Windows Update

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update

After I get Windows Secrets and read Patch Watch I do my patching. I was not offered KB2597986 by Windows Update, but I have 32-bit Office 2010. I read MS12-60 and determined my version of Office was affected (why I didn't get the patch I don't understand - but that's for another day). I navigated to the manual download page for KB2597986 and attempted to download and install the patch. All was going normally until a window popped up saying "an error occurred while running detection". Download stopped; tried again, same result. What should I do? I have several RTF files I want to download, Norton has no info about their safety, and patch will not install. Next step, please. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you keep restore points? Can you use System Restore to go back to a restore point for a time where everything was working properly?

Thanks
    Have you checked to ensure the patch is not installed? Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates link to left.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To administrator - I don't understand your response. My system is fine, I just can't install a patch. I don't need to go to a restore point.

To Mr. (Ms.) Myers (my screen cuts off the beginning of your name). Yep, I checked installed updates. Patch did not install. I'm just trying to determine if anyone else had a problem trying to install this patch, and if so what you did. My Windows support was from my OEM and since my computer's warranty expired back in February, I can't get any support for Windows without paying for it. I guess I can just ignore the recommendation in the Windows Secrets patchwatch if no one can help me install this patch for free.

Thanks again, folks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suenewby View Post
    To administrator - I don't understand your response. My system is fine, I just can't install a patch. I don't need to go to a restore point.
    Well, my reasoning is simple - if you restore your system to a point in time where the issue in question had not yet occurred, it is possible that you can solve the situation, that is, that the attempts to install the patch you chose to install manually, won't fail.

Thanks
    If you can not see the whole screen you might want to change the screen resolution so you can see the whole screen. You might miss something important.

Also your reaction when the first 2 suggestions did not immediately solve your problem might turn off some of the readers from offering a possible solution. Yes our advice is free, but as such we do not spend hour after hour volunteering on the Lounge. We are indeed volunteers and do offer suggestions to fix most problems.

Since you are having a problem installing an update, your system is NOT fine. You might want to consider Rui's suggestion.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Well, my reasoning is simple - if you restore your system to a point in time where the issue in question had not yet occurred, it is possible that you can solve the situation, that is, that the attempts to install the patch you chose to install manually, won't fail.
    Go back to where? A day? A week? A month? A year? If the only issue is that a patch which appears relevant is not offered or installable, is a system restore likely to cure it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Also your reaction when the first 2 suggestions did not immediately solve your problem might turn off some of the readers from offering a possible solution.
    "I'm just trying to determine if anyone else had a problem trying to install this patch, and if so what you did." didn't seem like a discouraging reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Yes our advice is free, but as such we do not spend hour after hour volunteering on the Lounge.
    Sure you do. (Don't overreact to the "free". She only mentioned it because her warranty just expired.)

Bruce

Thanks
    "My system is fine, I just can't install a patch. I don't need to go to a restore point."

A system restore might be worth a try. I have seen some very strange problems solved by this technique. How does the OP know this won't work without trying it. Not, Thank you for your suggestion, I will try it , or I have tried it, but I don't need to do that.

" I guess I can just ignore the recommendation in the Windows Secrets patchwatch if no one can help me install this patch for free."

These were the specific comments that caught me off guard. The question was only a day old. We have all seen problems that take several days or weeks to find an answer. An OP has to be patient and allow the right people to read the post.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-08-17 at 21:35.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Go back to where? A day? A week? A month? A year? If the only issue is that a patch which appears relevant is not offered or installable, is a system restore likely to cure it?
    The original post stated that " All was going normally until a window popped up saying "an error occurred while running detection". Download stopped; tried again, same result."
    I am not presuming that system restore will fix it. I was just suggesting it as possible solution, because the post made me think that it was something during the attempted install that may have caused the system to go into such a state. By going back to a point in time before the attempted install, it could happen that the problem wouldn't occur again.

I wouldn't advise a user to do anything that I wouldn't do myself. I have used System Restore in the manner I have just described, that is, to eliminate the effects of a failed install. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I would have done it to any of my systems, so I suggested the user would try the same.

As to the point in time to go back to, I was expecting the user to provide feedback on the availability of restore points, before giving a more specific suggestion. Of course, going back to the most recent restore point before the the time the problem occurred will minimize the "loss" of updates made to the system, while offering the possibility of overcoming the situation that led to the use of System Restore.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Rui.
    I have read somewhere that a restore only affects the OS data files, it does not affect any personal files/data. Why a user would be reluctant to use Restore is really beyond me. As you said, I also have used Restore many a times and all to good effect.
    Ted has said that we are all "learned" users of Windows and have no other interest but this forum and helping our fellow users to clear a few stumps, most of them are SUEs anyway.
    Have a nice evening. Jean.