canadaharry

title bars incomplete..

Ever since i loaded winxp and office xp i notice most title bars for my windows, incl the explorer bar right now, show JUST the first letter of the title! Right now i see 'M' not Microsoft Explorer. Strange, annoying, not in knowledgebase. Anyone else???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: title bars incomplete..

Post a attachment of what your are getting.
    Thanks,

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

canadaharry

How would i do that? It is the window title that screws up. Maybe a Hypersnap of my screen.....hmmm...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Use the "Print Screen" button and paste it to a graphic editor. Crop to the area that you want to show, save as a jpg file and attach it using the small pane in the lower area of the new thread or reply window.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

canadaharry

see what i mean???

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I noticed in your graphic that only the IE window exhibits this. There may be other, but from what I've read and seen, I can suggest checking one thing.

IE (and some other applications) allow their title text to be controlled via the registry. IE displays the page title first, and then your custom title (if it exists). To answer the question of "why" it's for branding, so MSN and others can add their names to the title.

This leads me to two different scenarios that should be tested and eliminated.

1) Internet Explorer has a cold. Give it the proper medecine - re-run the setup program and let it attempt to fix the problem(s). To run the repair tool manually, enter the following string in START -> RUN or create a shortcut with this as the command line:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:Program FilesInternet ExplorerSetupSETUP.EXE" /g "C:WINDOWSIE Uninstall Log.Txt"

2) The registry entry for the title bar text is corrupt. Doubtful but possible. It's also possible but unlikely that IE repair will detect and fix it, so:

Open REGEDIT.
    Drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain. If there is a key named Window Title delete it. You can add it later as a STRING value if you want to change the title bar text (mine is not an appropriate example for a family friendly board).
    -Mark

canadaharry

Good advice... thanx.. I do remember using TweakMe awhile back and setting the IExpl title to "my name' s computer" and i will go try to trace and undo.. btw the window title option is not in my Main subdir, i looked.
    Also while in my registry I noticed something strange... there is a Internet Explorer dir and a IE4 one both...should I kill IE4???....hmmm...

canadaharry

Also I just checked and my Control Panel window title also exhibits the short title ie "C " vs "Control Panel"
    I thought at first it was just text color vs background.. you know reading grey on grey etc., but no.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just for grins and giggles, try turning off the "web view" and see if the title comes back using standard explorer folder views.
    -Mark