New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Microsoft Update

I have office 2003 but because of all the problems with attacks I did not install Outlook or Outlook Express. and I certainly do not want Bing. "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" is what I have selected for updating.but now, MS is always trying to update Outlook which I do not have and Bing which I do not want. Now I have the MS updating icon saying "New updates are available" sitting in my task bar. Is there no way I can get rid of this icon or am I stuck with it being there forever? Thanks for all help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Right-click the updates you don't want and then Hide Update.

Bruce

Thanks
    Bruce, that will work for the existing updates but won't prevent future updates from appearing and you have to go through the hide update procedure again.

Goodoldboy, are you sure you don't have the Bing tool bar installed even if its disabled in your browser(s)? Does anything with Bing in the title show up under Control Panel > Programs and Features?

Not sure you can do anything about Outlook except for what Bruce indicated. Microsoft may just be detecting you have a version of Office installed that includes Outlook. Why not just let the updates install even if you're not using Outlook?

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Goodoldboy, are you sure you don't have the Bing tool bar installed even if its disabled in your browser(s)? Does anything with Bing in the title show up under Control Panel > Programs and Features?
    Bing Desktop is offered as an optional update for Windows 7 whether you have Bing anything else installed or not:

Was Bing desktop mistakenly put on windows update?

How do I disable Bing Desktop update?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-08-16 at 13:33.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not have Bing installed, I got sucked into that quite some time ago because I did not know what it was. I knew it was Microsoft, but then when I looked at it I decided I would rather use Google so I uninstalled it. Outlook-When I purchased Office, I did not install outlook or outlook express. You would think MS would know its not there rather than bugging a person endlessly. I use/purchased Incredimail for all my email requirements because my wife loves the special effects. Guess my best idea is what Bruce said about hiding the updates..........

Thanks
    I agree with Jerry:
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Microsoft may just be detecting you have a version of Office installed that includes Outlook. Why not just let the updates install even if you're not using Outlook?

Jerry
    Allowing the updates won't install Outlook; and hiding current updates won't hide future updates.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well the point here is that at least I will not have the update icon hanging around in the toolbar all the time; until the next time I do want to update.

Thanks
    If you allow the updates to install, you won't have the icon hanging around either and on the off chance you actually want to install Outlook, I will be up to date. It actually is a very good email client and is not any more subject to attacks than any other Email client. You might be thinking of Outlook Express which was problematical for some. Most users found it worked well though.

Jerry