Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Seems at least a user is dumping his Mac and iPad for a Windows 8 machine

David Pierce, from the The Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/16/3246185/this-is-my-next-windows-8

S
    ome interesting statements:

"I'll be switching because Windows 8 is the first desktop operating system that understands what a computer is supposed to do in 2012, and it’s at once more productive and more fun than any OS I’ve used before."

"
    I don't have to remember to sync, or transfer my files, or think about which device makes more sense for a certain place or situation. It's like playing with legos, assembling and disassembling different machines from the same parts depending on what I feel like that day."

"
    Using Windows 8 is like living in a house made out of internet. There's a browser, sure (and it's a good one despite being named Internet Explorer), but the whole OS is constantly changing and updating because its every fiber is connected to the internet. "

"T
    he Start Screen is a brilliant innovation for desktop computers, a huge improvement on the folder-littered desktops on every other OS, which serve exactly no purpose except to show a background photo"

"
    Ultimately, that's what I love about Windows 8: without losing any power or capability, it added a ton of the features I love about my phone, from full-screen optimized apps to pretty interfaces to lots of glanceable content. I don't need to spend all my time bouncing between a dozen different apps, because so much information is already surfaced for me. Even the lock screen is more useful, showing messages or calendar events; Mountain Lion just shows me my picture and asks me for my password."

"
    If I were a Windows user, the upgrade would be a no-brainer. But I'm not already a Windows user, and I can't wait to get my hands on a Windows 8 device, toss my MacBook Air out a window (or at least into a closet), and finally start working with an OS that gets how we work in 2012."

Just more food for thought.

Thanks
    Just reinforces what we have been saying for a while now. When the time comes I will be replacing my Win 7 Ultimate OS with Win 8 Pro. (I will make a complete image first). Then once I have all my customizations done and all my apps installed, and everything is working as expected, I will delete the present Win 8 partition and include this space in my new Win 8 Pro partition. This will leave me with Win 8 Pro (C Drive) and Data (D Drive).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If one is a home user with an iPad or other Apple products, I really can't see a lot about Windows 8 that would make it compelling enough to switch. However, if you are a corporate user, the native security and integration to Active Directory would make it a no-brainer to dump the insecure Apple products for a Windows 8 tablet.
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I can see what he means. I use a Windows 7 Phone and love it, so I know how the single glance to get a lot of status info feels. For mobility, a Surface tablet or even the Lenovo tablet he is talking about, can be a decent tool, not limited in what you can do, like the iPad, but a real computer when you need to and a tablet when it makes sense. Apple has nothing to offer me. I don't want to collect an assorted number of different devices. I can have a phone, a mobile computing device and a desktop. If this mobile computing device can be a tablet, which I can also use as I use laptop today, that would be amazing. Both Surface and the Lenovo tablet will allow that. Apple cannot offer anything like it.

Thanks
    The new crop of tablets coming out may have a distinct influence on whether I ever own a tablet or not. The iPad does not interest me in the least. I can not afford such an expensive, insecure device to play with. If I purchase a tablet I want it to have the power to run a full fledged OS, not a stripped down OS. I want to be able to do the work I presently do on my laptop on the tablet.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy